2 - A Night to Remember

She knew she wanted to be around other people, specifically her Smosh family, but the thought of going out and pretending to be happy held her back. Despite the love and care from her family, she still felt hurt and upset. Did she expect to be able to get over her two and a half year relationship so quickly? No. No, she knew it wouldn't be that easy. Yet she still had hope in the back of her mind.

As she stepped out of the shower, she glanced over at the mirror propped onto the wall. He always told her that she wasn't pretty, that her body wasn't good enough. He, of course, being her ex-boyfriend, the one who cheated on her. She knew he was scum and that she shouldn't let that affect her but...his words still haunted her subconscious. That could be another reason why she's choosing not to go to the party. No matter what she put on, there was always something wrong with something she wore. She tore her eyes away from the mirror and held her face in her hands.

"Fuck. He really messed me up, didn't he?" She mumbled into her palms. "Why did I think he was so great?"

As she slipped her leg through her pant leg, her phone lit up on the bed beside her. She had received a text from Shayne, four actually.

Shayne - Hey, Court.

Shayne - Courtney? You there?

Shayne - I just wanted to check up on you and see how you were holding up.

Shayne - Oh, also, Ian was wondering if you were coming tonight.

She picked up her phone and laid back on her bed. She held the phone above her face and reread the messages a few times. With a long sigh, she decided to text him back. It'd mark the messages as read anyway.

Courtney - Hey, sorry for the late response. I'm doing fine I guess but I'm not sure if I'm gonna come tonight.

She lied to him about how she was doing. She wasn't fine. Far from it actually. Knowing him, he'd try to skip the party and come take care of her. As much as she'd like that, she knew she'd feel guilty about it. Shayne's reply was almost immediate, as if he was waiting on her.

Shayne - Okay, well, let me know what you decide and if you need anything. You know I got your back, right?

She smiled at that. She always knew he would. Not just because he constantly reminds her but because that was just who he was.

Courtney - I will. Thanks for the concern, Shania.

Shayne - Of course.

She wanted to go, she really did. What she wanted least of all was to lie to her friends. Hell, she already did it once and couldn't feel worse about it. Even still, the thought of her friends being disappointed that she didn’t show up and the many times she'd be asked why she was absent gave her a good reason to object and go anyway.

Courtney - Hey, I think I'm gonna go tonight.

Shayne - You sure? You know you don't have to if you're not up to it.

Courtney - I need to go out and talk to people. I think it'd be a good idea.

Shayne - Okay. Well, you want me to pick you up? I'm totally fine with it.

Courtney - Sure. I don't see why not.

Shayne - Cool. I'll see you in a bit.

Courtney - See you.

After fighting with herself over each outfit she chose, she eventually decided on one and got herself ready. As she finished her makeup, she looked at herself in the mirror and sighed. She didn't like how she looked but she didn't have the time to take everything off and try again. Shayne would be arriving soon.

Hidden Heat // Shartneyजहाँ कहानियाँ रहती हैं। अभी खोजें