chapter 49

“Saint Meldiana-sama…”

Douglas, the church knight, calls the saint’s name.

Meldiana, without removing her veil, addresses the priests.

“What are you waiting for? The adventurers own the rights to what they obtain from the dungeon. And if they are the goddess’s relics, they belong to the Church. Prepare it now.”

Other than the priest in charge of Lysette, the two priests step back at her command.

—Are they really going to pay 100 million gold for it?

Before they left the dungeon, her friends agreed to sell the relic and dragon materials, pay Lysette and Dee’s fines, and split the rest.

Lysette argued that her share was excessive, but the majority vote prevailed.

She had planned to sell it at a higher price in order to increase distribution to everyone, but she never expected it to go through without a price negotiation.

She figures it doesn’t matter because it’s church gold, not Meldiana’s or the Marquise’s gold.

“Congratulations, Onee-sama. You are now a free woman. I had faith in you.”

Meldiana’s true motivations are unknown.

Not just because of the veil.

“Onee-sama, may I examine the relic more closely?”

“Yes, of course.”

Lysette hands Meldiana the strand of burning hair.

And when Meldiana’s gloved fingers come into contact with the flames.

“Hot, it’s hot!”

The flames ignite the glove, quickly spreading through the veil and engulfing Meldiana in flames.

“Water!”

Meldiana screams and rolls on the floor as Lysette casts Water Magic on her.

Meldiana is immediately doused in water, and the flames are extinguished.

“I’m going to use recovery—.”

Hilde rushes over to help Meldiana with her burns.

“No! Don’t look!”

A shrill cry reverberates through the air.

The veil has burned away, and the figure she sees is not the one Lysette is used to seeing.

Her lovely green hair had faded and lost its luster, her body was as slender as a dead branch, and her skin was deeply wrinkled.

It was the appearance of an elderly lady.

“Meldiana, what the hell happened?!”

Duke Bern, who arrives with a drawn face but is trying to calm down, expresses concern for Meldiana, who has assumed the form of an elderly woman.

Hilde’s healing abilities quickly healed Meldiana’s burns.

Meldiana hid her face with a jacket that her father, the Marquis of Claudis, had given her.

“… Onee-sama, how could you have done this to me…”

In a weak voice, she said.

“What?! Was this done by Lysette?”

Lysette has no idea. Meldiana looks like that, and she doesn’t know why.

Meldiana remained silent and sobbed softly.