CHAPTER 6 - DENIAL DENIAL DENIAL

"Hammer to Fall" by Queen played through Steve's car as the three of them drove. Dustin explained to Steve what they had seen, and before that, Steve told Iris how he "kicked the shit" out of a demogorgan.

It was now dark, the sun setting quickly after leaving the Wheeler's. They spent the time attempting to organize a plan, but it didn't matter when they didn't know where anyone else was. It was now cold, even for Hawkin's fall, and Iris was regretting not bringing her jacket.

Steve pulled into Dustin's home, flipping Dustin the keys as he opened the trunk of his car. He grabbed the bat, but Iris took it from his hands, admiring it. She twisted it in her hands before handing it back to him.

"I guess I believe you a little bit more." She smirked.

"You don't believe that I killed one of those things?" Steve said, offended. He turned a flashlight on as the three walked to the cellar.

"I dunno," Iris sighed dramatically. "just hard to believe that a pretty boy like you could do that."

Steve didn't respond, clearly flustered by her words. He played it off the best he could, Dustin shaking his head at him and mumbling.

"I don't hear shit." Steve approached the cellar.

"He's in there," Dustin said.

Iris could feel that something was wrong on the other side of the doors, but she didn't think it was Dart.

"I'm not sure, Dust." She admitted.

Steve tapped on the doors with the bat, expecting something to respond. Steve licked his lips before repeating his actions, this time much harder than the last.

"Alright, listen, kid. I swear, if this is some sort of Halloween prank, you're dead." Steve shines the flashlight directly in Dustin's eyes.

"It's not, I saw it," Iris said, and Steve turns to her. "but I don't think it's in there now."

"Do you think it could've escaped? Are there any windows down there or something?" Iris questioned.

"It's a cellar, of course not." Dustin waved his hands as he spoke.

"You got a key for this thing?" Steve interrupts before Iris could retort.

With a sigh, Iris points her finger at the lock, flicking it up quickly. The lock opens immediately.

"Yeah, we really need to talk," Steve says, wide-eyed.

"Let's make it out alive first." Iris says, opening the doors.

Steve shines the flashlight down the cellar, no one seeing anything. "Must be further down here. I'll stay up here in case he tries to escape." Dustin says.

"No, the both of you stay up here." Iris directs.

"Absolutely not." Steve crosses his arms.

"Oh, sorry, what superpowers do you have again?" Dustin asked sarcastically.

"I'm not staying up here when there's a potential monster down there waiting for you, whether you have powers or not." Steve says stubbornly. "Which also, hello? this is still news to me."

"Fine," Iris says after a minute, deciding that if she didn't let him now, he'd do it anyway. "but you stay behind me."

The two made their way down the stairs, Steve holding up his bat. Iris tried not to focus on how she could feel him pressed against her back.

Iris didn't feel anything down in the cellar, so she didn't activate her powers. Instead, she walked to the lightbulb, pulling on the string.

Quickly, she noticed what looked like a plastic bag covered in a yellow-green goop. Steve pushed her behind him, making Iris roll her eyes. He picked it up with his bat, Inspecting it with the same disgusted look that Iris had. Upon closer inspection, it looked like shedded skin from a reptile.