CHAPTER 3 - BULLSHIT

Iris didn't care much for sports

   Iris didn't care much for sports. Besides the three years she spent playing softball, she didn't have much experience beyond the books she read. But, when it came to Steve's basketball team, she was there for everything.

   At first, it was slightly out of pity. In middle school, when Steve made the team, his parents never cared enough to show up to anything. His dad wanted him to play baseball, like him. So, even though Iris hated the stench of teenage boys, and the sneakers squeaking against the gym floor, she was at every practice, every game, every scrimmage.

   Which included today's practice. Iris was exhausted from the night before, so like she usually was, she curled up on the bleachers with a book. Her eyes darted over the pages occasionally, subtly looking at one boy in particular.

   Truth be told, she was worried about him.

   Steve told Iris that he was going to talk to Nancy on his own, but Steve seemed very distraught about it.

   Nancy had spoken to Iris a few times, but it was awkward and forced. She wanted to support both her friends, but it was clear Steve needed more attention than Nancy did.

   Iris searched the gym, finding Steve quickly since he had the ball. Surprisingly, he had his shirt on. She noticed the new kid, who seemed to be speaking to him. Even from the stands, Iris could tell what Billy was trying to do.

   She sighed in annoyance when he knocked Steve over, successfully stealing the ball from him. Her bored look turned slightly angry as she watched Billy jump to the net, rolling her eyes as he did some unnecessary way of a lay-up.

   She noticed Steve had turned to where she was sitting, and she made eye contact with him. Instantly, her gaze softened, giving him a thumbs up with a sarcastic expression. It made him chuckle, which was her intention.

   "Steve?" A voice called from the door. Iris and Steve both turned, seeing Nancy standing there, looking upset.

   Iris gave Steve a more genuine thumbs up, mouthing "good luck" before turning her attention back to her book. She didn't want Steve to see the anxious expression she knew she wore.

✩✩✩

   "What are you doing here?" Steve asked after leading Nancy to a small alleyway on the side of the gym.

   "What do you think? Where were you this morning? I missed first period." Nancy's tone was ignorant, yet she was more upset than confused.

   Steve wasn't exactly ready for this conversation, but the words Iris comforted him with the night prior were loud in his head.

   "I figured Johnathon would take you." It was meant to be a small dig, but there was truth in Steve's words too. He watched Nancy's face twist with emotions, feeling his throat start to get tighter.