chapter twenty two: try and try again

Beginne am Anfang

Try #1 - Space

At first I planned to let things simmer down for a bit. Things were too hot and if I went up to her now it would be a disaster.

For a whole forty eight hours I gave her what she wanted, but to say it might've been the longest forty eight hours of my life would be an understatement. It felt like a treacherous eternity that was never ending.

I couldn't sit still, all my thoughts circled around her, and it was like I put myself in my own personal hell. Callum seemed to notice my anxiety, but who wouldn't, I was literally pacing around the room

"Are you okay man?" he asked from the couch.

"I'm fine." I said, placing my hands on my head, obviously I wasn't fine.

"Have you slept at all? Because you look like shit." he covered up a laugh but I caught it.

I stopped my pacing and looked at him. "Is it that noticeable?" I reached up and touched under my eyes.

He stood up and walked over to me, "Very, but if you could clean up soon, I have guests coming soon."

This caught my attention, "Who's coming over?" I asked.

"I invited Addie and Dani over for dinner and I would've liked you to cook but..." He put a hand on my shoulder, "Sleep looks a little more important right about now."

"No." I felt a jolt of energy surge through my body. "I can cook, it's fine. When are they coming over? I asked.

"In a few hours, but are you sure-"

"Yes. I'm sure." I smiled and walked into my room.

This was good. Very good actually.

Try #2 - Personal Chef

I stepped out of the shower and put on a sweatshirt and shorts. I walked back out into the living room, which was pretty bright compared to my room. I looked out the window to see the gray sky and foggy windows. It's the first week into December and it's already freezing outside.

I walked into the kitchen and saw Callum sitting at the counter. "Anything they wanted in particular?" I asked, opening the fridge.

"No...I was hoping you could come up with something on the spot," he admitted.

"That's asking for a lot," I rolled my eyes.

"I'm sure you can come up with something in..." he trailed off and I turned around. "An hour."

I looked at him and sighed. "Now that's really asking for a lot," I crossed my arms.

I mean this has to be a good meal, right?

Or do I just want it to be good?

"Listen, just make something easy. We really don't care, food is food." he shrugged.

Guess not.

I felt a weight lift off my shoulder as I went towards the pantry. I searched through it for a couple of minutes until I decided on something convenient.

"What about pasta?" I offered, taking out the box of stale noodles.

"Fine by me." I could hear the excitement in his voice. He was like a giddy child, but sometimes I could relate.

A few minutes later I heard a knock on the door and Callum went to open it. I heard the two girls walk in as I stood in the kitchen. The pasta was boiling in the pot and I kept near it, stirring it once in a while.

I threw a few extra things into the sauce to make it more...flavorful. I remember doing this as a kid and it always came out good. Around ten minutes later I had two plates of pasta sitting on the counter, I put some basil on for garnish hoping to make it look fancy, and it seemed to work. I think.