XXXIII

It's been weeks since the last time I went to the Imperial Palace. The Empress was constantly sending out invitations, but Regan would refuse them. He's the one who's getting the letters that comes from the Palace since that day.

The Empress also gave birth few days ago and there was a huge ball happening in the whole Empire, as a celebration for the birth of the first prince. As expected, the Empress gave birth to a young prince which the Emperor personally named.

Rivas Hasan Dayhelm

And I become bedridden, now that I reached my last month of pregnancy. Winter is just around the corner, the Duchy is busy preparing for the winter. I feel bad because I was supposed to be the one who was managing it. But because of my condition, I cannot do my duties properly.

The door of my bedroom chambers opened, I knew that it was none other than Regan because he doesn't knock on the door when entering the bedroom.

"Hi." He greeted which I responded to with a smile.

"How is the little devil doing huh?"

He sat on the chair beside the bed and caressed my belly. Then he move his face closer to it before pressing his ear on it.

Regan is always doing that every now and then. At night, he won't sleep beside me, instead, he would fall asleep on the chair while his face laying on the small space at my side and his hands on top of my belly.

"Cressida?"

I snapped out of my thoughts when I heard him calling my name.

"Hm?"

His eyes were uneasy and he seems like he's anxious.

"I can't get enough sleep."

Eh?

"What? I only have half of the bed as my space though?" He looked at me as if I'm the most funny thing he ever saw in his entire life.

"Pfft, silly, it's not that."

I frowned "Then what is it?"

He sighed as he looked at me with worry in his eyes.

"I can't sleep because I keep on thinking about you and the baby."

"Why? Also, I should be the one saying that, you know? Labor and stuff, if the delivery goes wrong."

I noticed that he looked down and his shoulders drooped.

"If anything happens, can I choose you instead of..."

My eyes widened at him, his whole body trembling and his hands were clenched into a fist.

"No." I answered.

Though it is such unfortunate to die after carrying the child that I love for nine months, but what could I do if I am fated to die? At least I safely birthed to Derrick right?

"If something goes wrong when I'm giving birth, I want you to take care of our little devil."

He smiled.

"Of course you would say that." He said with a pained expression.

"I'm just worried that you might end up the same just like when my mother gave birth to me."

I don't know anything about Regan's family, all I know is that he hated having a child with the previous Cressida and what power he have.

"As a child I was treated harshly by my father, to the extent that he would send me to the academy and on the way there, he sent assassins to kill me."

"My father loathed me because he thinks that I killed his wife, my mother. He sent me to numerous of wars on his behalf, wishing that I'd die there."

"In the end he died of heart attack, he wasn't able to write his last will, so that leaves me the responsibilities as the next Duke."

"All my life, I know that I am the reason why my mother died, that's why I don't want to have any relation with women, you're the only exception. I hated you because of your cunning father who sided with the Grand Duke, my Aunt's enemy which made them my enemy as well. But then you drove me crazy, to the point that I'd do anything to have you here by my side. Getting you pregnant was not one of the option... But I did get you pregnant, which made me so sad and happy at the same time..."

"Sad because of the thought that your warmth would go away after you give birth, and happy because I really want to have a family with you..."

"You, Me, Calix and our little devil..."

I caressed his face, wiping away the tears the continuously flows down from his pale gold eyes.

"You worry too much." Smiling at him so he could at least calm down.

"Nothing will happen to me, I got this."

Ugh, how can I talk big like this when I haven't even had a boyfriend in my past life, let alone get pregnant and give birth!

But in the novel, Cressida successfully gave birth to Derrick. So I hope that nothing will happen just because I possessed her body.

"Haaa." He sighed and rubbed his face on my belly.

Suddenly, we heard a knock coming from the bedroom door. Regan said come in and then Zehin, Regan's butler peeked in.

"I hope that I'm not disturbing Your Graces."

"You already did." Regan.

I pinched his skin on his arms, he yelped and suddenly stood up.

"Ouch." I didn't bother to mind him so I turn to look at Zehin.

"Come on in."

He walks inside and I noticed that he has brought a tray of letter for us.

"A letter from the County of Burks arrived this morning."

"Didn't I told you that letters would have to go through me in my office first?" Regan growled.

"B-But you're not in the office..."

The two looks like a scary lion and a scared hyena.

"I'll take a look."

"Wife!"

Before he could even protest I glared at him, in the end, he can't do anything because Zehin had already gave me the letter.

As I expected, it's a letter from Czarina.

Dear Duchess Bizeviron,

I am Czarina Burks, I am sorry if I made you uncomfortable during our first meeting at the Empress' Palace, I hope that I could make it up to you by inviting you for a tea.

I am looking forward to your attendance,

Yours,
Czarina Lorelaine Burks

A tea? Is she plotting on poisoning me?

"You could always refuse invitations wife, now that it's hard for you to do anything because of your condition."

That's right, I could always do that as an excuse to refuse the letters, but something is telling me that I should go and meet her.

"No." I said.

Both of them looked at me with bewildered expression.

"Prepare a paper and a quill, I shall write a response to the lady..."

Unedited
July 22, 2022
LizzannaWrites