⓿➏: A Coming Out Ball

Start from the beginning

"Like your husband is busy and has a great deal of responsibility," Richard said.

"Well, I have responsibilities too," Emily retorted.

"I understand that your social engagements are important," Richard said.

"They're not just social engagements," Emily said.

"Anything at which you serve tea is a social engagement," Richard told her.

Delilah gaped at that.

"That's it," Emily said. "I am gonna get a tape recorder so you can hear how pompous and condescending you sound." She started to go upstairs.

"Wha – uh, Emily," Richard said, getting her to stop in her tracks.

"No, I wouldn't want you to take my word for it," Emily said. "I might be delirious from all that tea I've been drinking." She walked upstairs.

It looked like someone was going to be sleeping on the couch tonight – or at least the guest bedroom.

"Oh, stop this," Richard said, following after her.

Scratch that – at least the guest bedroom for a week.

"Maybe we should leave," Rory said.

"Are you kidding?" Lorelai said, "We've got dinner theater here."

Thea asked, "Why are you happy to see your parents arguing?"

"Yeah, they're obviously in a fight," Rory said.

Lorelai asked, "Yeah?"

"One that they probably wouldn't want us to see," Rory said.

"Hey, we stumbled in here completely innocently. We came for dinner as usual, per their request. We had no idea we were walking into The Lion King without the puppet heads."

The Lion King wasn't the appropriate analogy for the fight.

Emily and Richard came back downstairs, this time Emily had a tape recorder.

"Get that thing out of my face," Richard said.

"Just say the tea thing again," Emily said, holding out the tape recorder.

Delilah was kind of amused by Emily's antics.

"You are behaving like a child," Richard told Emily.

"Turn around when you talk, would you? I'm not sure how good this microphone is," Emily said.

Richard finally noticed Rory, Lorelai, and Delilah, "Oh."

"What?" asked Emily. She noticed the three.

Lorelai clapped, "Brava! Encore! I'm sorry, does Terrence McNally know about you two? Get me the phone!"

Emily and Richard looked embarrassed.