CHAPTER 15

CHAPTER 15

Next morning at around six, Chris rang the bell of Sarah's penthouse and waited for her to open the door.

Chris knew she'd probably be pissed but he couldn't stop himself from worrying about her. She had been tense last night.

"What the fuck you need, man?" a deep, groggy welcomed him.

Chris scowled at the man in front of him. Aviraj - Sarah's cousin - was back from his trip overseas.

Chris had not expedited this. He had totally forgotten about this neighbor. He only imagined Sarah in this penthouse, and he had liked it that way.

Aviraj had his arms crossed and waited for Chris to answer him.

"Oh, you're back. Why did you come back?" Chris scowled at him.

"Excuse me? This is my house. I own it. So, I don't think I need to explain anything to you. However, I believe you must answer me. What are you doing here?"

"Fair enough. I came here to borrow sugar from my neighbor."

Aviraj squinted his eyes at him. "Are you bothering my sister?"

"Bothering? What? No. What does bothering even mean? I'm here to borrow sugar. For my coffee. I don't think any grocery shop would be open at this hour. Do you have sugar?" Chris spoke in one long rant. Not letting Aviraj to have a word.

Rolling his eyes, Aviraj stepped aside to let Chris in. Chris looked around in a hope of seeing Sarah there. But all in vain. She wasn't there.

She was probably asleep he thought.

"Your sugar. And get out of here," Aviraj grumbled, pushing the sugar jar against Chris's chest which he grabbed immediately. However, instead of leaving, he sat down on the barstool. Aviraj let out a long, irritated sigh. He ran his hands through his hair, resisting the urge not to pull them.

"So, what's the deal with your cousin?" Chris asked nonchalantly. As if he was asking about weather, not a human being. A human being whom he found fascinating. He didn't want this man to suspect anything.

Aviraj squinted his eyes on him. "Why are you asking?"

"I'm curious." He shrugged.

"You know what they say about being curious."

"Yeah, I know. And good thing, I'm not a cat. So, I guess I'm safe."

"You're unbelievable," Aviraj gave up, and occupied another barstool.

"So, what's going on?" Chris probed again.

"I will not tell you Chris. She's already mad at me. It's her life and if found out that I had told you something, she'd murder me."

Both didn't say a thing for a long time. A soft click of the doorknob got their attention. Sarah was up. Chris straightened in his chair.

Rubbing her eyes, Sarah entered the kitchen. She had not yet seen them sitting there. When she turned around, she yelped. "Oh god! Could you two be quieter? Shit!" she placed her hand against her chest to calm her erratically beating heart.

"Sorry," the men mumbled.

When the shock wore off. Sarah's body sagged with relief. "You're home." She looked at her cousin.

Aviraj got up. He embraced his sister, rocking their body slightly sideways.

"How are you?" he whispered in her ear.

"I'm good. Why didn't you tell me ye were coming back?"

"I wanted to surprise you."

She looked up at him. "I'm still mad at you, you know?"