CHAPTER 13

CHAPTER 13

When their limo reached the venue, Sarah sighed in relief. There weren't reporters. Chris opened her door and extended his hand for her to take. She grabbed his hand without hesitation.

As they entered the ball room, a small chuckle escaped her mouth. They were one of the first few people.

"Thank god you're here." Ashlyn came running towards them. "Guests will be arriving anytime soon."

"I'm always on time." Chris tried to ruffle her hair but Ash swatted his hand away.

"You're looking gorgeous Sarah." Ashlyn complimented her. Sarah thanked her and complimented her as well.

Ash looked from Chris to Sarah, and back and forth. Chris caught her eyes, and glared at her. Warning her that she should keep her mouth shut. Last thing he wanted was for his sister to say something to sabotage his date. And his both sisters had sabotaged his dates in the past. If given a chance, Ashlyn would do it again.

Chris's parents and Crystal were also here. They were talking with the organizer. When Chris's mother saw them she gave final instructions to the even organizer and walked towards them with her husband. Crystal followed them. As they were exchanging pleasantries, guests started to arrive. Chris welcomed some people before mingling with their guests. Sarah knew most of the people because they were her colleagues. There were fresh faces as well. Chris introduced her to them.

With Chris she was not just an arm candy. She also participated in the discussions, gave her opinions. She could say that she had impressed some well-known faces in the fashion industry.

Sarah was aware of the eyes on her. Many women from her company were casting glances in her way. Because she was here with their boss. As his date. They were jealous. Many of them had dreamed of being Chris Jones's plus one.

Chris and Sarah were talking to a group of men who seemed a bit obnoxious. Sarah could feel hesitation in Chris as well. He was not as easygoing as he was with many other guests.

"So, Sarah. Did Chris beg you to come with him?" a man in his early 30s asked her.

"Excuse me?" Sarah blinked in surprise.

"Don't get me wrong, darling. I was just checking. You know, mostly men in the fashion industry aren't straight," he whispered the last part.

Chris's hand tightened on his champagne flute. Sarah noticed this.

"Yes, you're right. Mostly they are not, and Chris is not one of those 'mostly' you just referred. Also, being gay is not a crime. I think we must respect everyone's choices, and stop assuming." Her tone was patronizing but those dim-witted men couldn't decipher her intentions. They were rather awestruck by thee beauty.

To hide his amusing expression Chris sipped his drink.

"Gentlemen, please excuse us." He didn't wait for their response. He led Sarah away from those idiots.

"Thanks back there." He was sincere.

"That was nothing. I was surprised that you didn't put him in his place. I thought you'd punch him."

"I wanted to but Dad is in business with his father. And we need that business. Perhaps one day I'd teach him a lesson about assuming things. How about I take over his company and banish him from this world."

Sarah chuckled. "Now you're pushing it."

"It's is good plan though?"

"Yes it is."

Sarah shook her head. She barely contained her laughter.

It'd been barely an hour since the party started. At one point, Sarah stiffened. Her skin prickled with awareness as if someone was watching her. It wasn't a nice sensation. It was a dreading feeling.

Chris observed the chafe in her demeanor.

Sarah looked around multiple times, but nothing was out of the ordinary. Her body wasn't ready to drop her guard yet.

"Something wrong?" Chris asked. He stepped closer to her and tried to be her shield.

"No. I'm fine."

"You're anything but fine, darling."

Sarah didn't even react to the term of endearment. She was that distracted.

For the rest of the night, Chris tried to make her relax but she was closing herself off. Sarah tried to function normally but was failing miserably.

"I think we should eat dinner and leave. What you say?" he asked when he knew nothing was going to make her relaxed.

"I think that'd be the best." Her response was instant as if she was waiting for him to say this.

Chris didn't question her further. They sat on their table and waiter brought their food. Sarah barely touched her food. Her eyes didn't stop scanning the room.

"Sarah?" Chris asked, he sounded concerned.

"I'm full. I can't eat more."

Chris wanted to tell her that she didn't eat at all, but he refrained himself.

"Shall we go then?"

"Of course."

Sarah and Chris stood up. He said good bye to his parents and sisters. No one asked questions. Then they sneaked out before anyone else could spot them.

By the time they had come outside, their ride was here. The drive went by into complete silence. Sarah needed time to process what had happened back there. She couldn't fathom she'd experience those feeling. That too this intense, as if the cause of those dreadful sensations was close by. But how could that be possible. She had closed that chapter three years ago.

Sarah was distracted even when she reached her door. She vaguely member Chris asking her to give him the keys to the penthouse. He unlocked the door without a word.

Back at his penthouse apartment, Chris was restless. He was trying to make sense of the things that had happened a half hour ago. He had plan to woo his Cinderella but it didn't go as planned. She suddenly became closed off. Chris was sure that he saw traces of fear in her eyes. He'd wanted to ask her but hadn't know how to approach the subject. Last thing he had wanted was for her to become wary of him.

Chris couldn't get her worried face out of his mind. He wanted to wipe that expression from her face. But what could he do?

She wouldn't even let him near him. He needed a plan. A plan to go closer to her without raising suspicion.

He wanted to be her anchor. He wanted to be her support. He wanted to protect her from whatever scared her. He wanted to know everything about her. He wanted her to tell him everything.

He wanted her to trust him, see him as a trusted ally.

And all of a sudden he got the idea. He knew where to start.