Part 54

Scarlett's POV

My baby is turning ten today, and I don't know how I feel about it. I'd say she's growing up so fast, but a part of me feels like she's been a grown-up since I got her back; if anything, over the last eleven months, she's grown down, which, as weird as it sounds, is fantastic. 

She has started to act like a child. Don't get me wrong, she would still rather learn a new language than play Barbies, and she is now a reasonably famous child actor, but still, she seems so much litter than when we first met. It warms my heart that she has become comfortable enough to let herself relax and be a child. 

The first nine and a smidge years of her life may have resulted in her growing up way too fast, but I am determined to spend the rest of her life helping her realise she can relax and enjoy the moment now.

Now, I may have gone a bit over the top with her birthday, but in my defence, she hasn't had the best relationship with birthdays, and I am set on making sure she has the best day ever. She's my little baby Cupid, born on Valentine's Day, and I am going to ensure she knows just how loved she is today. 

Since the new year, Sawyer has been sleeping in her own room most nights, and I know it's for the best and a healthy progression, but wow, I miss my cuddle buddy. So I took it upon myself to slip into her bed last night after finishing everything for her birthday, telling myself it was for her so she could wake up to morning birthday cuddles, but deep down, I knew it was more for myself.

I told myself I would wake up before Sawyer and make her a special breakfast, but I guess she had different plans. Opening my eyes, I smile; Sawyer is lying on my chest, drawing little Micky Mouse heads on my collarbone as she just stares at me, smiling adorably at me when she notices I'm awake. The two of us just stare at each other for a while, just enjoying a peaceful moment between the two of us; looking at her now, I still can't believe how much she looks like me; she really is my little clone.

 After a few minutes, I pull her into my chest tightly. "Happy birthday, princess", I coo into her ear as she nuzzles into my neck, letting out an adorable little yawn. "Thank you, Mama", she mutters against my neck as she relaxes in my hold. 

"I was going to make you pancakes for breakfast, but you beat me waking up; how about we go get bagels instead? I know they're your favourite," I offer, looking at the clock and noticing it was only eight, so we had time to walk there before my surprise. 

"Can we get rainbow bagels, please, Mama?" She asked, looking up from my neck pleadingly at me, making me chuckle. "Baby, it's your birthday. You can have everything and anything you want today," I say before climbing out of bed and going to get us both ready.

So when I offered to get bagels, I forgot about Sawyer's hatred of dressing up warmly. It had been snowing most of the week, so I am currently trying to persuade her to wear a pair of gloves, but she is adamant that she doesn't need them. "Mama, you said I could have anything I wanted, and I don't want to wear them," she said with a pout, making me groan but think of a new idea. 

"I will let you wear my maroon hoody, and you can not wear the gloves, but you have to wear the coat and scarf, deal?" I asked, holding out the hoody, which was by the door, which just so happened to be her favourite. She eyed it up for a while before taking it with a smile. "Deal", she said, making me chuckle as she brought it over her head quickly. "Which beanie will madame be wearing on today's expedition?" I say, putting on a silly accent and pointing to all her Marvel beanies, which have their own display spot alongside her caps, by the door before grabbing a box I'd wrapped and stored by the door. 

"Or maybe you would like to open this box and see what other options you might have?" I say, passing her the gift and watching as she opens it excitedly before squealing when she sees the three new black beanies. One has Scarlett Witch's crown, one with Quicksilver's speed bolt thing, and finally, one with Nikitas's emblem. She squealed excitedly before pulling me into a tight hug.