Chapter 8: Unexpected Accident

Date: July 11, 1943

Location: Newport Naval Base, California

Time: 11:03am

"Welcome to Newport, I'm Commander Evan goodwill." Commander Evan greets.

"I'm Captain Jame Kent. Captain of the USS Montana BB-67 super battleship."

"Captain Ren Nami. Captain of the IJN Shikishima Super Yamato class super battleship."

"Captain Jiro Mondo. I'm in command of the IJN Yoshino Azuma class large cruiser."

"I'm Captain Joseph Bolger. Captain of the USS Midway CV-41 large carrier."

Evan then gestures for the four captains to take seat in the chairs provided as he makes his way back around his deck and takes a seat.

"This underground base is quite impressive. I've never seen such a marvelous feat of engineering. Back in our world Germany built underground bases for their submarines, but those pale in comparison to this base." Joseph states.

Commander Evan chuckles. "This isn't the only underground naval base in the Eagle Union. We have six, one near New York NY, one near Seattle WA, one near San Diego CA, this one, one near Charleston SC, and finally one near New Orleans LA."

The four captains were amazed at how many underground naval bases Eagle Union had and assumed that each naval base is of similar size. None of them could imagine the immense amount resources it would take just to build a single base, let alone six.

Evan continues "Commander Jon informed me that your ships need to be studied in order to produce parts and electronic equipment for them. I was also told that the Japanese ships need to be modified. I'm not sure if Jon told you, but you have an important choice to make. We would like to convert your ships into Kansen. However we respect that they are your ships so we won't convert them unless you give us permission."

"What will happen to us if our ships are converted?" Captain Ren Nami asks.

"Well, after you officially join Azur Lane and have your ships converted you would most likely be resigned to another mass produced ship since you four are captains. As for your men, they would likely be sent wherever we need them. I know this isn't an easy decision, so I urge you to take your time. I was USS Iowa's Captain for a little while before they converted her. Fortunately for me the high brass decided to give me command of a naval base and promoted me to commander."

This causes the captains to think about the pros and cons of having their ships converted. On one hand they would help Azur Lane by giving them two super battleships and a large carrier. This would allow Azur Lane to effectively counter Crimson Axis's super battleships and large carriers Kansen. On the other hand they could keep command of their ships. They could still be valuable assets and help in battle. However if they fought against an enemy Kansen there was a high chance they would be sunk. After a few moments the captains begin to converse among themselves, offering their opinions to each other. Finally once they nod their heads in agreement Captain Joseph gives their answer.

"If it's alright with you Commader Evans we would like to talk to our men about this decision before we give our answers."

"Very well then, now with that out of the way lets begin discussing how we're going to supply your ships." Evan states.

A few minutes later Commander Evan sighs as he looks over the report the four captains had proposed.

"We know it would cost a lot of materials, judging based on how you split resources between kansen and the navy. However we want to fight for Azur Lane even though we are not from this world." Joseph states.