Chapter 12: U3008 Heads to the Frontline

Date: August 12, 1943

Location: Newport Naval Base, California

Time: 8:00 am

Early in the morning Commander Evan called Albacore and U3008 to his office. Once they arrived and took a seat Evan began to brief them.

"Thank you for coming quickly. Due to the situation in the South Pacific we need all available submarines."

Evan looks towards U3008 "This includes you even though your training isn't complete."

"Commander is this a really a good idea? Sending a submarine that barely knows to fight into combat?" Albacore says out of concern.

"Unfortunately it's not up to me. The top brass want all submarines especially U3008 to report to the South Pacific theater."

"Why me specifically?" 3008 asks.

"We don't know for sure but we believe there are other Type XXI submarines besides you. If it's true then there is at least one other Type XXI in the pacific. But unlike you we assume it to be an Iron Blood submarine."

"How do you know its a sister of his?" Albacore questions.

"Because no other submarine class have the unique weapons system that the Type XXIs have."

"What do you mean?" 3008 confusedly asks.

"3008 remember those controls on your riggings that your unfamiliar with? Those controls are for your Anti Ship Guided Rockets or ASGRs for short. You had 24 of them but the scientists borrowed two. One for testing and one to analyze so we can make more. However I highly recommend you refrain from trying to use them since even you are unfamiliar with them. If you two don't have anymore questions then you best get moving. It will take you two weeks to get to the South Pacific. Good luck and good hunting."

Both of the submarines salute before leaving Evan's office. They quickly make there way to the underground piers before boarding their ships. Several minutes tick by as the massive conveyer belts move the submarines move to the elevators. After a few more minutes the elevators reach the top and water begins to fill. As soon as the water is to a desired height the massive clamps release the submarines. Finally the massive doors the the elevators open to let the submarines sail out into the harbor. Once both Albacore and U3008 are clear of the doors they activate their riggings and make their way to the center gate in the Newport wall. The gate opens as the two subs approach and a few of the guards on the wall wave to the departing submarines. Once they past through the massive gate closes behind them.

"Alright let's get this show on the road. Full speed ahead!" Albacore shouts.

"Wait! Im not as fast as you. I can only make 15 knots on the surface." U3008 explains.

"How fast are you underwater then?"

"17 knots underwater. I was made to operate mostly under water. However I understand that most submarines can't do that so if we have to travel on the surface then so be it."

"Holy cow your fast underwater. I can only do 7.7 knots underwater." Albacore exclaims. "How about this, you submerge and stay at periscope depth while I travel on the surface. This way we can steam at 17 knots and not 15 knots."

"Sounds like a plan." U3008 replies before submerging.

Albacore checks to see if she can still see U3008. Luckily she can just make out his rigging through the surface of the water.

As day turns to night Albacore loses sight of U3008 so she submerges to see if he is still following her. However instead of seeing his rigging she is greeted by his ship's hull. She is surprised at how big it is. If her hull was put side by side with his one would see she is about 18 meters longer. However despite being shorter in length and slightly shorter in width U-3008's hull is much more circular compared to her hull that's shaped more like an oval. Soon Albacore resurfaces and summons her ship so she can get some sleep. Meanwhile U3008 is resting in his sonar room with a headset on. The next morning 3008 pops his radio antenna so he can communicate with Albacore while still maintaining his top speed. The second day of their journey is uneventful. On the third day U3008 surfaces to recharge his batteries. On the sixth day they reach Pearl Harbor. Accidentally Albacore forgets to radio to Pearl that they were coming. So when the radar station picks up Albacore's ship on the surface 25km away Hammann, Downs, and Cassin are sent to investigate.