Chapter Thirteen

The next day, my father was up earlier than usual, already shouting orders to everyone in the house as I trudged down the stairs, rubbing my eyes then releasing my hair from the loose ponytail I had tied it in.

"I told you to rest well; that didn't mean sleep in." He scolded, giving me no time to respond before he began shouting at one of the maids.

"Papa, what is going on? You're more stressed than usual, I don't understand what's the matter."

I ran my hand through my hair and watched as the rest of my family filtered in from the kitchen, all but Matías holding a coffee. Oscar came and stood beside me, so when he lost focus, I grabbed his mug and took a sip.

The weight shift caught his attention and he muttered 'puta' as he shook his head at me, taking his mug back.

I gave him a smile and flipped him off, quickly putting my hand down as I saw my father walking in our direction.

"I need help setting up today. The four of you will be helping do the heavy lifting of the small pillars to the hall and I need someone to help bring in the centre piece. It may seem early to you but the event starts at 4, so we need to be ready and there is a lot to get done."

"What is the event anyways?" I asked, confused.

"It's a charity fundraiser on behalf of our hotel chains. You four are the face of the future business and we need you to make some... better appearances in public." He explained, eyeing me.

"Come, let's start getting the pillars." Oscar said hastily, setting his coffee down and ushering me out of the room away from my father's jabs.

"Oscar, it's fine. Papa is stressed and he just needs to take it out on something, or someone and that happens to be me.' I shrugged, letting him know I was okay.

"Honestly, it's not okay Chi. You know that." Raf chimed in.

"I told you guys, it's fine. I've moved on and I know there is nothing we can do about it. Come on manos, Papa will get angry if we don't get the job done fast."

I hurried them along and we headed to the front of the house where the vans were waiting. We each took one pillar and lifted them out of the van. There were fifty total and the four of us were tiring ourselves out.

Once that was done, I took the lead and rallied up a group of the guards to help us ease the heavy lifting.

We added six more guards and each of us lifted five and brought them past the house to the hall. All of them were taken right from our hand by the decorators and they began setting up the pieces. It took us some time but eventually we got the job done.

We offered some more help to the decorators and once they decided our help was more than enough, we headed back to the main living room where we could smell a feast being cooked in the kitchen.

"Ay I could eat anything right now."Rafael mumbled, his stomach gurgling loudly, causing us to all laugh.

We walked into the kitchen and our mouths watered as we looked at the various foods and treats being laid out in a large tray ready for the evening.

I felt a smack on the back of my head and I winced and turned to see my mother hitting all my brothers too.

"This food is for later. Go out and buy something small to eat." She scolded, handing my eldest brother some cash.

We all looked at each other and our grins grew, quickly racing to the garage. I got there first, so I grabbed the keys to the Jeep before any of them could get them and I watched as my brothers groaned.