He just slid his pack towards Mulciber and he took one, lighting it with a wandless fire spell.

They stood in silence, watching the moon reappear from behind the clouds. It was almost time for the full moon.

" What happened?"

" Huh?" Severus asked and Mulciber shrugged.

" You only cut when something happens. It's been weeks since the last time."

He talked like he cared.

" Nothing happened." Severus said and looked down from the window. The slytherin common room was in the dungeon but their dorms were actually in a tower.

The shortest one that was only a a few meters off the ground.

" You're lying."

" Why do you care?" Severus asked and the other shook his head.

" I don't. I just dont want Slughorn bothering me when he sees the blood on your sheets. God knows you dont take care of the wounds." He said and dropped the ashes down to the ground.

Severus chuckled. Mulciber was the same as ever, a fucking asshole.

" I'm just tired."

" I heard you tried drinking. How was it?" Mulciber changed the topic fast and Severus shrugged.

" Fine. Massive hangover the next day but while i was drinking....i dont know. I finally stopped thinking so that was nice." Severus coughed a little and his roommate just nodded along.

He was silent for a few minutes then he walked to the sink and pulled out a bottle of mouthwash from under the sink.

" Here." He handed the full bottle to Severus and he looked confused.

He put the cigarette out on the window sill and took the large bottle.

" What's this for?" He asked and Mulciber rolled his eyes like he was stupid.

He grabbed the bottle out of his hand and opened the seal, bringing it to his lips and gulping.

" Are you fucking dumb? You cant drink mouthwash dumbass!" Severus yelled and Mulciber just shivered as he put the bottle down.

He sighed in satisfaction and Severus was as confused as ever.

" Its vodka. I just dyed it blue so Slughorn doesn't notice. It's slavic so it's pretty strong, you dont need a lot to get fucked up." He said and handed the bottle back.

Severus sniffed it and it smelt like bad hand sanitizer with a touch of mint.

He was in shock.

" How long have you had this?"

" Since fourth year."

" I thought you just always had mouthwash because you had a phobia of bad breath or something. You brush your teeth like five times a day."

" Oh i do. This is just for fun." Mulciber smirked and tapped the bottle.

Severus looked down at it and sighed.

Doesn't hurt to try right?

-----------------------------------------------------------

It did hurt to try. It wasn't long until he was sitting with Mulciber on the floor laughing.

Another cigarette between his fingers with the bottle between them. He doesn't remember the last time he bonded with his roommate this much. Maybe that time he accidentally left his bracelet in the dorms and he begged Mulciber to run back and get it.

Maybe when Severus accidentally messed up a potion and Mulciber countered it by pouring a shit ton of rose leaves in it and taking the blame.

Mulciber was evil but he was Severus' scapegoat.

" You like someone don't you?" Mulciber asked and Severus dropped his head down.

" That obvious huh?"

" You've always been fucked up but I've never seen you like this. Only love will do that." Mulciber said and took the cigarette from his hand.

He used to call it Severus' cancer sticks but he changed his mind halfway through last year after taking a drag.

" You sound so cringy." Severus grimaced and to his surprise Mulciber coughed with laughter.

He pounded on his chest and chuckled.

" So who is it?" he asked and turned his head.

Severus closed his eyes shut and shook his head. He won't tell Mulciber who it is, he'll eat him alive if he knows. Hes the type of guy you can be friends with but have to he wary of.

Never trust him.

" Its no one."

" So you always say."

If he's honest, Mulciber has seen him at the worst. He's dragged him out of bed when he was too depressed to eat, when Black's bullying got too bad he shielded him.

He knows because he was always extra bitchy to Sirius those weeks. He's also huge so it didn't hurt to have him guarding his back.

But Severus knows its a ploy to get his trust, to get him to join his side in the war. Severus was a valuable and smart person to have by his side, a good tool to have in your toolbox.

It was just to use him.

" Don't let someone else be your downfall Snape. You always come out fine but don't lose yourself in someone else." Mulciber stood up and handed his cancer stick back to him.

" I'm gonna sleep." He said and left the bathroom, leaving Severus with his thoughts.

On most levels it was worse leaving him alone than with any dangerous person.

Because the only person who could hurt Severus more than his father was himself. He could corrupt himself beyond repair and he knew it.

It was the only kind of control he had over his life.