Part 3

2 weeks later.

" Potter stop enunciating that part. Now how do you make a charm last longer?" Lily asked.

She had a large leather bound book in her lap and a sandwich in one hand. The other half was between Severus' teeth as he read a divinations textbook at least three times with his eyebrows knit together.

And James had soup. And a protein shake curtesy of Severus' muggle upbringing and James' desperate need to bulk up again.

" i dont know Lily, can't i just learn this later?"

" well you don't go to class so i dont see how you would get the chance to." Lily said back.

James sighed and looked behind her at Severus.

" you've been reading the same book three times, are you done?" James asked and Severus shook his head.

" for the life of me i cant memorize what different dreams mean." He said and finally took a bite of his sandwich rather than just holding it in his mouth.

" divination is easy is it not?" Lily asked and Severus finally shut the book, giving up.

" i dont know lily. All i know is i am going to fail this test." He tossed the textbook aside and took a seat next to James so the three of them were facing each other.

" alright, break time." Lily said and closed the book, still holding it close though.

" so. What's hogwarts been up to?" James asked and Severus shrugged.

" same old."

" which you would know if you ever came out of your room." Lily said and James hummed.

" one day." He nodded and Lily nodded back.

Severus was watching them closely while they talked. This was what he did most visits.

He observed, hes always been like that. James' eyes had bags under them, his skin went from olive to pale beige, probably from lack of sun.

His eyes were duller and his lips more chapped. He only wore long sleeve shirts around others and never got out of bed. His wrists and fingers had become so slim Severus could see parts of his joints jut out.

He knew something was wrong. He just didn't know what.

" Severus are you ok? You look tired." Lily asked and Severus turned to her slowly.

" a little. I haven't been getting much sleep." He reasoned and rubbed his eyes.

" wanna take a nap? I have plenty of room." James said and pat the spot next to him, just like Severus had done on the train.

That day James didn't take him up on the offer of using his shoulder but he felt comforted, even just for a second.

" are you sure? I dont want to invade your personal space." Severus said, feeling like an intruder in James' very delicate world.

" nonsense. Go ahead." He said and even brought his blanket up so Severus could get in.

" mind if i nap too? Honestly Transfigurations is kicking my ass." Lily said and straightened her back to crack it.

" sure Lils." James chuckled.

Lily was much more inclined to take James' offer and gestured for Severus to get in.

Severus hesitated but got in anyway, James and Lily by his side and him in the middle.

" I think we could all use a rest." James chuckled lightly, a little lifeless.

" yeah. I suppose." Severus said before bringing the large blanket over them.

It wasn't even 5 minutes later when they were all asleep.

———————————————————————————

James opened his eyes slowly and was a little taken back.

Severus was facing him, close enough to feel his body warmth but far enough to not touch him. He was breathing in and out steadily, lily's leg half hazardously thrown over Severus' long ones. Her hair was everywhere but she still looked gorgeous while asleep.

And Severus finally looked calm for once, face completely relaxed.

He himself realized this is the longest he's slept without an episode.

" You're awake aren't you?" Severus mumbled, half asleep.

James gulped and nodded.

" yeah."

" Can't sleep? Or are you uncomfortable with us being in your bed?" Severus opened his eyes and James' heart was caught in his throat.

" No. I....I like the company."

Severus hummed, closing his eyes again.

" good to know. We never get good sleep because of our roommates."

James smiled as he remembered what the Gryffindor dorms used to be like. So full of life and chaos. It was so loud it was damn near impossible to do anything in peace.

" It's too quiet." James whispered.

Severus sighed and slowly opened his eyes to see James' expression had fallen. It's always so melancholy, it unnerved Severus.

He very carefully slid away from Lily, her turning over in her sleep and away from them. She was always a heavy sleeper.

" Come here." Severus opened an arm and the blanket a little more.

James didn't move, just looked at Severus' invitation with hesitance.

" You said it's too quiet. I'll read you stories, or you can listen to my heartbeat. It always helps me." Severus explained and it eased James a little.

Wordlessly, James inched closer to Severus, eventually laying against his chest and Severus' arm wrapping around his shoulders in a hug. He felt warm and for the first time in months, safe.

Outside the confines of this room, he always feels on edge. He's lost so many people because of it, it was a constant source of pain.

" Thank you." James mumbled and Severus' chest rumbled when he hummed.

" Go back to sleep, i've got you. Lily's got you too."

James smiled against Severus and he felt it. He also felt the tear drip onto the arm James was laying on.

But he'd never tell him.