vi. YOU KNEW AT FIRST SIGHT

Eddie turned around from watching Steve escorted out of the house only to see you peering at him over the edge of your mattress.

"Feeling better?" you asked weakly, sitting back down on the mattress.

Eddie sat down next to you, a soft smile on his face, "I should be the one asking you. But to answer your question, yes. That... I've never felt so good, honest to God."

You nodded. A beat went by before you spoke again, "Eddie, i... if it really does help you, I will let you do, um, that, whenever you need it."

Eddie swore he was going to combust from your words, "You're my saving grace, you really are. But, uh, you've gotta keep your promise, okay? 'Can't change your mind, I don't think I'll be able to stop," he admit, looking away shamefully.

A pang of guilt flooded your senses as you delicately placed a hand on his cold cheek, turning his head so he was looking at you. His eyes had feeling in them this time, and you knew deep down, the old Eddie was still there, fighting for control. He didn't deserve this, any of this. He deserved to be able to finally graduate and rid himself of this horrible town. But now he can't. He can't grow old, can't live a full life. You gave him a sympathetic smile, "I want to help you, Eddie. It's scary for me, sure, but I don't believe you'd purposefully try to hurt anyone. I trust you," you said, pressing your index finger on his heart.

"It won't have to happen everyday. Even if it needed to, I'm sure Harrington would stop it," Eddie spat Steve's name out like venom.

You frowned slightly at his sour tone, "He didn't mean anything bad, Eddie. I mean, can you really blame him?"

Eddie's shoulders slouched back down, "Sorry, I know. I just get, uh, irritable now. Easy, too," Eddie sighed.

"You've got your reasons. Um, if you don't mind my asking, how did it happen?" you questioned, obviously referring to his... condition.

"Don't wanna talk about it," he grumbled, "Sorry, 's just, too fresh in my mind."

You nod in understanding, "Can you at least tell me why you chose to come to my house?" you asked, meeting his eyes.

"It was the farthest house on the street," Eddie lied. There was something drawing him to your house, as if he knew what an easy catch you'd be... God, Eddie, shut up. She's a living human being, not your prey.

"Makes sense..." you hummed, reaching your hand up to feel the gauze on your neck.

"I can take it off now," Eddie offered. You nodded graciously, letting his hands slide up to your neck, slowly peeling the gauze off of your neck. He froze at the sight of the bite marks. His bite marks, on your neck.

"Is it noticeable?" you asked, tracing your finger over the marks.

"Not really. Unless you've got someone looking at your neck, which they shouldn't be," Eddie's tone went back to the cold one you were used to, "then you'll be fine." Eddie didn't know why he felt so protective over you. Maybe it was because you were his first, in terms of vampire virginity, he means. Or maybe it's because of how you willingly let him feed off of you. He wasn't sure.