Chapter Ten

"Ok, hold on. Are you seriously considering his offer?" Maya asked as she looked at the woman in front of her as if she lost it.

"I know what you are thinking.. but I will be working for Alex, not his brother." Kanz replied, emphasizing her last two words as she glanced back at Maya.

"Why going near that damn family in the first place? You are the best journalist I've ever known, you could find another job easily." Maya said, almost pleading her best friend to re-think her decision.

"Easier said than done, you know the struggle I went through and how much I worked back in Syria to be able to come here and get the position I had in Global Guild Newspaper," She paused, her eyes filling up with tears, "And now, I have to start all over again because of_" She paused, taking a deep breath, then continued, "I don't wanna talk about that incident anymore."

"OK, don't talk about it or even think about it," Maya agreed, then resumed, "You are the strongest girl I've ever known. And no I'm not saying this because your my best friend. What you have been through is unimaginable, yet you faced everything with brave heart and came right back tougher than before." Maya stopped her rant, eyeing Kanz entreatingly.

"You know how much I love you and I love your motivational speeches," Kanz said, smiling as she hugged her tightly, "Allah only knows how much I need them."

"I love you too, eventhough you are crazy most of the time." Maya held onto Kanz for a couple of seconds before pulling away slightly, "My point is, you can start over from scratch without the help of that family. We can ask Hasan to get you a job for you." She suggested and Kanz shook her head immediately.

"No, no. He has done enough. Look, I promise you this will be temperory until I find a better job, OK? Please trust me on this one."

"OK, fine. But if that asshole does something, he will regret it." Maya agreed reluctantly as Kanz laughed at her threat.

"Enough talking. I will go now to the company, Meet Alex and he will tell me what I am going to do, start working and this day will be as peaceful as ever." Kanz finished, silently praying for her day to turn out as she planned.

"I am sure you will be fine. Keep me updated with everything that happens and tell me when your working hours will be over and I will meet you outside so we can go have lunch somewhere." Maya spoke while she followed Kanz as got her things and went towards the front door.

"Wish me luck." Kanz called out as she went to the elevator, the door closing behind her quickly.

"I wish you all the best sweetheart." Maya whispered as went back inside the apartment.

About ten minutes later, Kanz got out of the taxi and gazed at the tall building in front of her with awe.

"Wow, this is where I am going to work." Kanz said as she looked around her, astonished.

"Can I help you, Miss?"

Her daydreaming was cut off as she looked at the bulky guy in front of her, he was wearing a dark grey uniform with the label of 'security' written on his shirt's left pocket. He tried to appear calm but his tense posture gave him away. Along with his partner who was glaring at her suspeciously.

Kanz noticed she was staring at them silently, so she rushed out, "I have a meeting with Mr.__" She stopped midway as she realized she forgot Alex's last name, "Mr. Alex?"

Her tone came out as a question, causing the guards to look at her with uncertainty.

"You have a meeting with Mr. Alex Pasquino?"

"Yeah! That's him."

"Do you mind if we checked your ID?"

Kanz raised her eyebrows at the request but complied anyways.

Surprise flashed through his eyes as he saw her name but it was gone in a second, making Kanz wonder if she imagined the whole thing.

"Ms. Kanz, forgive us for keeping you waiting. Please follow me." Without waiting for her reply, he turned around and went inside the building.

The other man stepped aside as if allowing her to pass and Kanz followed silently.

"Please inform Mr. Pasquino that Ms. Kanz is here." The security guy informed the blonde receptionist who stared at them with wide eyes before sprinting into action.

Kanz gave her a quick glance, she was wearing grey pencil skirt, a matching blazer and a light pink shirt underneath. Her hair was pulled in a tight ponytail as it bounced from one side to the other while the receptionist looked around frantically.

It wasn't until they reached the elevator that Kanz noticed the bizzare atmosphere around her, each and every employee at that floor were silent and trying to glance her way discreetly.

"Is there something wrong?" Kanz asked the guard while she kept looking around her.

He understood her question straight away because he threw a quick glare on those around them and they immediately resumed their works.

The elevator journey was silent. Then they went out on 5th floor and the guy led her to an empty office.

"Please have a seat, Mr. Pasquino will arrive shortly." He informed her

Kanz thanked him as she sat down on the black leather chair, waiting for Alex to make an appearance.

Instead she was met with the deadly voice she dreaded to hear the most,

"Hello Kanz, it's been a while."

Hey guys,

I hope you are fine

I'm super sorry for the late update but I was very busy.

This chapter is kinda "filler chapter" so I hope you won't be disappointed. But it is important as it will pave the way for the next one.

Anyways, I promise you the next chapter will be published soon (within the next couple of days). I hope this makes it up for you.

Enjoy reading

And please do not forget to vote, comment and share ❤

Ciao

Thursday, 1st of September - 23:12PM