"Potter and Granger were found in the halls, but there was no dragon. So, for lying to a professor and being out past curfew, I'm afraid you'll both be receiving a detention." He said flatly. My eyes widened and I felt my tears start to prickle in my eyes.

"No, I can't serve a detention! I have top marks in the class! I can't-"

"Professor, this is ridiculous! We were trying to help!" Draco said coldly, talking a little too boldly for having a conversation with a teacher.

"Don't make me take points from my own house for your cheek." He said lowly as he narrowed his eyes at the platinum haired boy. "Both of your father's will be getting owls from me in the morning." He said cooly.

"No!" Draco suddenly looked fear stricken.

"Your detention will be served next week. Go to bed. Now." Snape said slowly. I gulped once and nodded my head, small tears flowing down my cheeks.

Draco waited until we were outside the door before he took ahold of my hand and braided our fingers together. "Please, stay with me in my room." His high pitched voice whispered while we walked. "My father's going to kill me." He breathed out the phrase once more.

"Could be worse." I huffed, using the back of my hand to wipe my face.

"How could this possibly be worse?" Draco asked harshly.

"Snape could be your cousin. Father told me in a letter a few weeks back. His mother was a Prince. My grandfather and his mother were siblings." I sighed. "Father is going to be mortified. Don't be surprised if he kills me, too." Draco gave me a sympathetic look and he pursed his lips shut.

——

9 years prior

"I broke the vase!" I screamed, rounding a corner and bumping right into Draco, knocking him to the floor.

I rubbed my chin that had hit some part of his small body, letting out a small groan of pain. His brows were furrowed before he comprehended what I had said.

"Why were you even in that room?!" Draco asked me quietly, but his voice was still harsh and strict. I started to panic even more, tears streaming down my face and my shoulders shaking.

"Drake, I didn't mean to. I was making Peesy play hide and seek, and I bumped it, and it was an accident!" I cried, panting and sobbing while my face turned red as a brick.

Our parents were having some sort of meeting in the living room and had told us to stay out. Draco was practicing his skills in wizards chess in his library while I kept myself occupied.

"It's okay. Maybe they won't even not-"

"Draco! Emelia!" Lucius's voice boomed through the corridors of the manor, making my eyes widen from fear.

"Oh no, no, no," I cried, but Draco pulled me down another corridor to run away.

It wasn't my fault Lucius kept valuable dark artifacts around the house. Why would you have that vase there to begin with? At least put it out of a child's way, like my father does.

"I did it. Okay?" He asked me quickly while we could hear his father catching up to us. He wiped my face quickly with his hands and straightened himself out. "Just pretend you don't know anything. I'll take blame." He panted quickly before Lucius stalked towards us quickly.

His dress shoes pounded against the stone floor, making the noise echo all around us. He brought himself to a halt and glared down at the two of us.