Chapter 43

I laid under the comforter of Draco's bed, tissues scattered across the top of the bed and the floor. I hugged his pillow tightly against my chest while I sniffled, almost feeling like it were really him that his distinct scent was lingering off of, and not the plush fabric beneath my chin.

"So, my mum really did leave?" I croaked out, keeping my eyes on the far side of the dark green and black room while Narcissa laid behind me, rubbing my hair back on my head.

"Oh, we fought about it for a few hours before she finally apparated away and didn't tell me where she was going." She said angrily. "But I'm afraid she did." She whispered. I let out another sob, hugging Draco's pillow even tighter.

"You need to eat, pumpkin. You haven't had anything all day, you'll get sick." She told me softly, sitting up herself and climbing off of Draco's bed. I shook my head as I buried my face deeper and deeper into the comfort of the silk sheets.

Please, come back.

"Emelia Jane, this is not going to be healthy for you. All we can do is wait." She sighed, trying to pull on the duvet that covered my body.

I didn't want to wait. Waiting for him would be insufferable. It had only been a few hours, and already I felt as though I was never going to survive.

Without his touch. Without his voice. Without him.

I felt like I was in shambles.

"I want him so bad." I sobbed as the pain grew even worse in my chest. "He's been mine for 16 years, and now he's probably never going to come back the same." I cried. Narcissa walked over to his work desk where she lit the candle that sat on top, bringing some light to the room that grew darker and darker with the evening hours that gloomed over me.

She then lit the fireplace to warm the cold, wintry room. I wish there was a way to set a fire in my chest. To get rid of the itching and burning that already resided there.

"Don't say that." She scolded me. I did feel bad that she could hardly even express her own griefs because she had to take care of mine. "He wants you just as much, Emmy." She whispered, straightening up a few of his things before she stood still. "I'll let you be for a while. Maybe I'll send Peesy with a snack later if you're up for it." She told me quietly.

I couldn't focus on her to save my life. I didn't want to open my eyes or try to pay attention to anything else, because if I just laid here, just like this— I could still see his perfect smile and crystal eyes looking back at me in this bed like everything was still okay.

It was like I could enter another reality. One where we could be together and he could hold me like he always had. Where he could kiss my nose and tell me how stupid he thought I was as he laughed at something I said, but then he'd tell me I was the smartest person he knew. A place where we were free, and he looked at me like when we were littles holding hands in our field while the sunset.

I pulled the hood of his sweatshirt up over my head and pulled the blanket up over my eyes. I tried to think of what he was doing right now, but I sobbed harder as I pictured him in a chair at my manor, arms and legs strapped down while they tortured him to get rid of his love for me all over again.

"List your 5 things for me so you aren't scared."

"Draco. His laugh. His smile. The way he crinkles his nose. When he cuts his hair shorter." I sniffled as I talked to myself with a dry and hoarse voice.

"Draco. His humor. His hugs and kisses. The v imprinted into the center of his forehead from always scowling. The way he smells." My voice started to break off.