Chapter 39

I sat alone at my desk, Draco still spending all of his free time doing Merlin knows what. I fiddled with my quill in between my fingers while I waited for the class to begin in the silence.

"Can I sit here?" A tired voice asked, and I didn't even need to look at him to know who it was. I nodded my head glumly while he pulled the seat out.

"I see you're taking a toll from Draco's absence." Theo sighed, throwing his books down on top of the table. I didn't say anything while I nodded again, keeping my gaze forward.

"Are you sitting with me out of pity?" I asked him lowly. "You probably hate me anyway, I don't see why else you'd sit here." I sighed. He shook his head while his eyes stayed on the front of the classroom.

"It's my shift." He mumbled, making my brows knit together as I looked up at the side of his face. "And I don't hate you. I'm just hurt." He whispered, glancing over in my direction as well. My heart plummeted as I looked at his glossy eyes.

"What do you mean it's your shift?" I interrogated him, not understanding what he meant by the phrase. He chuckled once at my confused face, acting like I was just forgetful.

"Blaise had this morning, I'm this afternoon, and then when I'm working I think it's Vincent. Haven't you noticed that you're never alone?" He laughed lightly, but I still felt just as confused as before.

"I don't understand..." I trailed off, my confused face locked into place.

There were two reasons for Theo's honesty with me; either he just wanted to piss off Draco for everything he puts him through, or he genuinely wanted me to know what was going on unlike the other boys.

Or both.

"Malfoy just has us watching you like dogs, that's all. He's been a bit busy, as you've noticed, and he worries they'll come for you when he isn't around." Theo whispered, flipping his textbook open and looking away from my face. My eyes grew slightly and I dropped the quill on the top of the table.

"Who's coming for me? What the actual fuck are you talking about?" My voice grew harsher as I tried figuring out his stupid talking in code.

"Is there a problem, Miss Prince?" Snape's voice called out from the front of the room. Both mine and Theo'd heads turned to the front before I shook my head 'no.'

Snape continued on with his lecture while Theodore and I sat in silence for a few minutes. My leg was bouncing under the desk anxiously, grazing the side of his every few seconds.

"Would you stop that?" Theodore whispered while his hand held my knee steady. My heart stopped beating in my chest and my breathing hitched as I felt his fingers grazing the top of my high socks. "You're driving me mad, sweetheart." He chuckled. My face stayed in a frown as I scowled at him.

"Tell me what you were going on about, what's going on around here?" I quizzed, but he remained silent. He knew he had gotten me worked up, that I was frightened and confused, but he also knew he couldn't say anything else. He had already said too much.

"It's nothing. Don't worry about it." He grumbled, removing his hand from my knee. "Malfoy will kill me." He whispered, his face falling into a look of defeat while he slumped back in his seat.

I shot my hand up into the air, making Snape stop his lecture to look at me. "May I please be excused? I need to use the restroom." I called out, earning a nod from the professor.

I gathered up my belongings before I paced out of the classroom quickly, leaving Theodore behind with the rest of the confused students.

I could've sworn I saw Draco's blonde hair rounding a corner as I walked, but by the time I turned the same corner he had vanished. But the large door I had never seen before that stood before me was unmissable.