"What were you doing outside?"

I catch my words before they spilled from my lips. My mind wants to save myself from the embarrassment, but I doubt lying to him would do me any good. It would probably just anger him.

"I just wanted to see what was out there. I didn't think there was anything out there."

"I should have known you were going to try exploring this place. You spent a lot of time sneaking away, behind your mother's back." He says looking through the small shrubs.

He easily walks around each shrub and dodges each branch like he knows they are coming. I keep up with his fast pace and keep my heavy breaths silent.

"I don't see anyone could just sit without wanting to know what's out there," I explain.

"I don't want to cage you as your mother did. You are not a child."

"I appreciate that." I smile.

His eyes look caught off guard by my smile, and his eyes quickly break away.

"But I don't want you to wander without me. There are too many risks out here."

"If they know I'm out here, what would worry you?"

"Many people have come through the underworld, and I couldn't risk you getting caught up in any crossfire." He explains.

"Who would come down here willingly?" I ask with a raised brow.

"More people than you would think. Most are Demi-gods trying to take back their dead loved ones. Some mortals even manage to come down here."

"I see, but I shouldn't drag you from your work." I say softly, "I don't want to be a headache for you."

As the words leave my tongue, I want to slap my forehead. I was just fine never speaking about this, I don't know why it slipped from my mind. I would've rather locked myself back in my room than talk about this.

"I shouldn't have said that, it wasn't fair to you. I don't want you to think-"

"It's okay, I'm not mad at what you said. You were right, I'm done crying." I smile.

"Still, that's not something I should be telling others." He corrects.

"I'm glad you have a close friend. I would rather you talk about it than keep it bottled up." I suggest.

"He's not my close friend." He rejects, "I've tried to get rid of him, but he won't leave me alone."

I chuckle, "If you say so, but again, I will be fine exploring around the castle alone. I can take Mentor, he seems strong enough to protect me. Plus he does well at his job."

"No. I would feel more comfortable escorting you myself."

"You're always working." I remind.

"Then let us compromise. We can pick the day you'd like to explore, and I'll escort you."

"Are you saying day or days?" I fish for answers, "Those are two different things."

"One day." He offers.

"Three days?" I quickly ask.

"One and a half." He argues.

"Two days, and let me go with you when you work outside the castle for one day."

He stares at me with plain eyes and sighs. "Fine."

"You have been needing a day off from work." I lightly tease. "Maybe I can travel with you to the rivers!"