Without thinking I continue to sprint without a specific direction in mind. I leap over shrubs and a few of the dead plants scrape against my cloak. Twigs snap under my feet, and I slap away the frail branches each time they block my path. My heart races and my limbs grow heavier as I try to escape. My lungs burn with searing heat, and the forest seems to be getting thicker and thicker.

I jump past another shrub and dig my heels into the ground to stop myself when I spot the monster waiting for me. He waits as if he had known where I'd be running, and he swings his giant sword. He slices through a few thick trees, and I drop to the ground dodging the fatal blow. The whoosh of wind from the flying sword, pushes my body rolling eastward. I quickly look up to see the black tree trunks slowly falling downwards. There's no way I'm going to dodge that. I scrunch my eyes closed and use my arms to shield my head as if that would cushion the blow.

A large booming sound shoots through the forest, and my scream scrapes my throat as I prepare for the sudden pain. I may not die, but it will hurt. I feel small pieces of wood raining from the sky and nothing else. I hear a large tree crack as it lands on the ground, and then there is only silence. I lift my head, and I see a familiar black tunic over two gold arm cuffs. He stands in a shower of splinters, and his hand grips his large pitchfork as if he had just swung it.

The ferocious beast kneels before him, and his main head is faced down toward the floor. His sword rests in his hand that touches the ground, and I heavily breathe out in relief.

"You must have disregarded the news. I have taken a wife, and she is your new queen." Hades says with a loud boom.

Usually, his voice was low but quiet. As he speaks to the beast it reminds me more of his brother Zeus.

"My apologies. I got the message you had taken a new wife, but I did not realize she would be outside the palace." The monster says through a grumble.

"Your ignorance will cost you-"

"Wait!" I interrupt. "It's fine! There's no need to be mad at anyone."

Hades steps towards me and he reaches his hand down to me.

"He could've hurt you." He says sternly.

"But you came." I smile and take his hand. "It's okay. He was just doing his job, at least I know if there is an intruder he will take care of it."

He gently lifts me, and his eyes soften. For once I feel warmth in his hand. My hand lightly jerks from the shock of the warmth, but I squeeze tighter to gather as much of it as I can.

"Are you sure you're okay?"

My body still slightly trembles, and I try to smile through the fear embedded in my stomach.

"I promise I'm okay," I assure. "Leave him be."

"Let's get you back inside." He says noticing the shivering.

His long hair sways in the wind, and he pulls away from my hand.

"Be gone before I change my mind." He says harshly without looking back toward the creature.

My eyes dart back toward the creature and I see nothing but broken trees. For such a big monster, he moves quickly and silently.

"What was that?" I ask in a whisper.

"He is a hecatonchire, named Mentor. They guard my kingdom. I apologize for the inconvenience." He informs.

"Don't apologize, I understand. Do they live down here?"

"Yes, there is a village East of the forest where they and the cyclops live. When they aren't working, they are provided with homes, food, and rest."

"Wow, the underworld is so big."