Alexandra shrugged. "Ask your brother. I don't know what the problem is—not completely," she said.

Trey swore harshly. "You can't even admit a simple truth. You didn't deny it when I said you slept with Ethan behind my back. But now here you are, acting innocent for Melissa to take your side!" he thundered furiously.

Alexandra looked away, not knowing what to say. She took up the blame for not telling him about Ethan's visit and being focused on remembering what project he'd be referring to such that she'd ignored the part about her sleeping with Ethan.

Suddenly, she didn't mind that he'd kicked her out, because they both needed space from each other to think things through.

The only downfall to leaving the house was that all the maternity clothes she had ever owned were there—at their main house. Picking them up right away, in addition to baby clothes, could make him suspicious.

"Trey, I asked her not you," Melissa warned. He snorted, then turned away, hands raised in surrender at his sister's glare. To Alexandra, she said, "If you keep quiet and say nothing, I'll have to take his words for it."

"You know I will never do such a thing," Alexandra responded.

"So, tell me what happened." When Melissa saw Lexi glance at Trey—who was pacing like a caged animal—she sighed. "Ignore him. Talk to me."

Alexandra swallowed and wiped her clammy hands on her trousers, then began fiddling with her necklace—a his and hers necklace Melissa had gotten for both of them. "I was waiting for him to come home—"

Her throat clogged with emotion when he snorted in disbelief, kicking the bin out of the way. She looked up at Melissa with tears in her eyes. "You know why; you helped with that." At that, Melissa nodded.

Of course, Alexandra had told her best friend, but he was curious. Waiting for him? Did she really have something to tell or ask him? Or had she only realized her lifestyle had caught up with her and had wanted to get him to promise something again?

His blood ran cold.

She had asked once if he'd continue loving her no matter what. And his answer—his answer had been a yes. A resounding one at that. He'd told her he loved her, and nothing was going to change that. Granted, he was human, and he might get hurt and hurt her in return, but he had promised to make sure they worked it out.

Had she been going behind his back all the while?

He walked towards them and yanked her out of Melissa's hold, a gasp falling out of her lips at the sheer amount of force he used on her. He loosened his grip on her but still held her firmly, looking into her eyes. "When you asked if I'd love you no matter what happened, were you—had you been sleeping with Ethan then?"

Alexandra blinked and a lone tear fell down her pale cheek—she looked almost green, and he got worried. But she wasn't giving him an answer. Frankly, he didn't think he wanted to hear it. Regardless, he wanted to know. He needed to—

He swallowed harshly. "Answer me, please."

Her body shook as sobs suddenly racked her small form, but she managed an answer. "No," she whispered. He looked at her, capturing two main emotions in her expressive eyes.

Pain.

Sincerity.

And the relief that coursed through him was great.

It had been before she'd cheated so it wouldn't be on his conscience. Who was he kidding? He'd promised her that no matter what he was going to be there. So, it would be on his conscience. But he wanted her to be happy, so why not free her?