6:Square zero

~I'm at that dark world you'd managed to secure me a spot in—Zahra

Shivers ran down her whole, as the morning chilly breeze sent kisses to her skin, giving goosebumps the access to lodge on her upper layer of skin, she didn't get back to sleep after fajr because she had a pending Zoom meeting with her staff this morning, and she had to discuss with her assistant first, she'd been lacking lately and it's all thanks to her awaking trauma.

"Nina, we can't take new interns at the moment, of all people should know that, the brand is going through a serious innovation" Nina tiredly sighed, she didn't want to argue with her boss neither would she let it slide, she wants her to see it from her lens.

"We need new brains presently, I'm not saying you're anything less, but you need a break and the brand shouldn't take the break with you" The persistence in her tone was hard to miss.

Zahra decided to take a lend of Nina's lens, she wanted to look from it and afterward shook her head in agreement as Nina's words sank more into her thinking system, she knew the brand could crumble with the way everything was going on in her life and the blooming competition so she needed helping hand.

"Nina handle the upcoming meeting for me please, would you?" Nina smiled and then agreed.

"I've wanted to tell you that the first daughter walked in yesterday, but she wanted to meet you" Zahra let her mind wander hoping to find out why Zaliha was looking for her, she couldn't recall them being friends but maybe she was there for business.

Nina cut through her train of thought by adding "I heard that she was to get married in a few months maybe she wanted your ever-talented brain to make her look elegant" Nina hyped while Zahra just waved it off and then ended the call, if only people could see through her—they wouldn't have made it their job to compliment or praise her, she hated it.

She hated drowning in the dark pool of people's praises.

If they paid close attention, they would notice the squirm and how uncomfortable she tended to be every time they did such.

"Binta why are you all up this cold morning" she heard the caring voice of Hajja which made her lips curl up.

"Hajja ina kwana" she greeted the old woman while the latter playfully glared at her.

Her tone was like a honey drip, and her smile screamed nothing but home, Zahra's heart could wish not but to, inhale and bath in the scenting lake of her grandmother's love.

"Nasan ki da san wainar gero so I'd asked maman danladi to make you some" Zahra wondered, how could a person be this good?

"Nagode Hajja" her tone held an edge of appreciation.

<><><>

Later in the evening Zahra, Amal and baby Adeela decided to have a day out and so they did.

They visited the limited eateries in Katsina which was Amal idea, of course, Zahra was against that and already tired and full after their stop at Meat Corner but Amal refused to buy that.

Her defense was this was the only way they could catch up since they could go a fistful of times before seeing each other for they all live worlds apart.

Zahra drowned in the beauty before her, it was a view to behold—blue hues above, green land beneath while children's giggles filled the air.

She felt contented but with a dash of envy —the good type of envy, watching kids playing freely, she wished her life wasn't full of chaos just like theirs, but then she was still happy for them.

Just then Adeela's giggles reached her and she raised her eyes to meet the girl hopping towards her while her mother was panting and trying to catch her breath.

"What did you feed Adee today, the girl seemed to be high on sugar" Amal glared at her daughter who was lying on her cousin's shoulder.

"Or rather, what did Hajja feed her" Zahra only smiled which was cut short by a message that popped up on her phone.

Enjoying yourself in Katsina I see, don't forget to send my regards to our dear Hajja.

Mockery was the content of the message, the person knew her state and how jumbled her mental health was and so decided to use it to their ability.

Another pop-in, before the other sink fully.

Buckle up!

Just two words that held so many unspoken threats, the person talked in a puzzle but then she could understand the words like a transparent glass.

"Are you sure you're okay Zee" Amal words cut through her reverie?

"Let's head home Amal".

<><><>

"Zahra'u no one will force you to open up, but just know that whatever it is you're going through, then you're not in it alone and you're loved" Zahra looked further into her grandmother's eyes as if it could clarify the woman's words.

She let the words sink into her head and allowed them to echo into her organ of thoughts, she shredded the words and each letter of its content, she only wanted to be sure, so she measured the gravity of the words.

Is she not in this alone?

Or her grandma was just using her feathery words to soothe her aching heart?

But she was told before, that she was only a garbage.

And as much as she was aware, she knew that garbage is always thrown and forever alone.

After fighting a battle with her inner self, she decided to utter the words that had been chanting themselves to her mind.

"Hajja I'm back to square zero"

Ya kuke? Ya komai? I've been down lately and I'm short of words today so see y'all when I see you next🫶🏼

With love, Zahratus sahara🦋