Chapter 30: Roller Rink

~Present~
Adrien laughs as I step onto the ice and wave my arms around to keep myself from falling. I grab onto the wall and he skates over to me.

"I think I'm a little rusty." "More than a little." He holds out his hand. "I'll make sure you don't fall." I smile as I take it.

He holds me up as we skate around. Eventually I get the hang of it. "See you got it." He says and I laugh. He doesn't drop my hand.

"So how'd things go with your dad?" He sighs and shakes his head. He answers with a groan and I smile. "That bad?" He nods.

"I think he wanted me to work for him just so he can get under my skin." "Why? What happened?" "He told me I can't trust you." "Are you serious? Why would he say that?"

"He said time changes people and since we've gone so long without each other I have no idea what you're capable of." "Are you serious? What a bitch!"

Adrien laughs. "But um he did say one thing that made sense." "And what was that?" "I never got to know why you left." I nervously laugh. "Do we really have to talk about this now? I mean I thought the whole point of this was to celebrate?"

"I need answers Mari. Did you not think I was good enough for a goodbye?" "It's not that. Its just I-" "Then what? Why did you leave the way you did?"

"It's complicated Agreste. I don't want to talk about it." I let go of his hand and try to skate away but he gently grabs my arm. "But I do."

He's desperately waiting for my eyes to meet his. "Please." I look up at him and tears start forming. "I need to know." "I- I can't." "Mari I spent years wondering what I could've possibly done to make you leave me. I can't keep going without answers."

"And you'll get them, but-" "When? When will I get them?" "I don't know. I'm not ready." "It's been 6 years. You've had 6 years to get ready. 6 years I've waited for something- anything from you explaining why you left."

"And I gave you an explanation. I don't get what you're so confused about." "You didn't give me shit!" "Yes I did! Maybe if you paid attention to me back then you would've known."

"Are you serious? Of course I paid attention to you." I roll my eyes. "Whatever. I came here to celebrate not argue." "Well now we're arguing." "Adrien-"

"Do you really think I didn't pay attention to you?" "Can we not do this? Please?" "Mari you were the main focus of my attention." "Adrien don't even joke about that. It's not funny." "I wasn't joking." He skates closer to me and takes my hand.

"You were the only girl I thought about." He brushes a strand of hair out of my face. "W- what about Lila? Or Chloe? Or even-" "I thought about you." He repeats.

"You did?" "Of course I did. You were the only one I desired." He leans closer to me. "I dreamed of you Mari. No one else." His eyes fall to my lips. Slowly his head starts lowering. Oh my god he's going to kiss me.

"A- Adrien." "Are you going to stop me again?" His breath rubs against my mouth. He stops leaning in. He's waiting for my answer. His face is so close to mine. If I move even the slightest inch forward, we'll be kissing.

I don't want to kiss him, but don't I owe it to the girl inside me that was hopelessly in love with him? She waited so long for this. Don't I at least owe it to her to give her one last try? One that she'll actually be ready for this time.

I clutch his shirt and draw his lips to mine. His hands fall to my waist and pull me closer. His lips are soft as the overtake mine. The kiss is slow, but hungry. As if both of us were waiting years for this.

But only one of us was. I have so many years of built of tension with him. Both good and bad.

"If you didn't leave we could've done this so much earlier." Adrien rests his head on mine. "You know that's not what would've happened. We had too much going on before I left." Adrien's hand rises to cup my face.