Chapter 8: We're Making Progress

~Marinette~
I walk back into my department and take a seat at my desk. Not too long after, Alya walks in with a big grin on her face. Suspiciously big might I add. Like so big her lips are almost touching her glasses. She leans against my desk and stares at me.

"What is it Al?" "Oh nothing. I was just wondering if you would want to join me for dinner after work?" As I look at her, something in the back of my head is telling me not to trust her. It's another set up. I softly shake my head.

"I kind of need to try to figure out a game plan." "You sure?" I nod. "Okay." She pushes herself off my desk and walks over to hers. She grabs her bag and her keys and as she walks out she turns around. "I'll be at Le Grand Paris if you change your mind."

Maybe this isn't a set up. She always tries to force me to go when she's planning something. She gave up way too easily this time. There's no way it can be. We haven't eaten together in a while. Maybe she just wants to hang out. Now that I think about it... we haven't done anything together in a while.

I pull out my phone and send Alya a quick I'll meet you there! text.

~~

Spoiler alert... I walked straight into a trap. And there was absolutely no way I could get out of this one.

I walk into the elevator. Just as the doors are about to shut, a hand slides in between. "Sorry." A deep voice says without looking up from his phone.

"You have got to be kidding me." As he looks up from his phone, his green eyes lock on mine. "Are you fucking serious?" He turns around to walk out and the doors close right on his face.

"Too slow golden boy." The elevator starts to move. It feels like hours pass as we pass each floor. Why does the restaurant have to be so high up?

"As soon as these doors open one of us is getting off and the other is leaving." He says. "Or both of us could leave?" "Then we'd have to ride in this elevator again." "I'll stay." He nods.

After what felt like years, the doors open and both of us let out a silent gasp. "Did you forget what today was?" I ask.

He pulls out his phone and opens his calendar. "Shit! How can you forget your best friend's boyfriend's birthday?" Adrien whisper yells as we walk out of the elevator. "Me? He's your best friend! How can you forget?"

"Well we can't leave now!" "Well what the hell do we do?" I ask. Alya walks up from behind and puts a hand on our shoulders. "You can start by getting along. One day is all Nino asks for."

She nudges us towards the table by the window, swarmed in balloons, and a big banner that reads Happy Birthday!

"You guys made it!" Nino sighs of relief as he gets up to gives us a hug. "I was worried you wouldn't want to spend my birthday with me, since you know, you two don't really get along. But since it looks like you both came together, maybe I'm wrong." He has a big, hopeful smile plastered on his face.

"Uh no-" "We didn't-" Adrien and I say in sync. Alya places her palm to her head and slightly shakes it. "We just ran into each other in the elevator." His smile slightly falters and he nods.

"But still. I'm glad you didn't press the button to one of the upcoming floors and hop off."

Adrien and I look at each other as Nino takes a seat. "How did we not think of that?" I whisper and Adrien shushes me. "Please have a seat. Order whatever you want. It's on me."

"No way. It's your birthday. You shouldn't have to pay. I'll-" "It's on me." Adrien cuts me off. "What? No. I'll pay." "Princess, I have loads of money. This won't leave a dent in my bank account." "And if I pay it will?"