"Yes. I know. You told me that already." He adjusted his spectacles as he looked at some reports.

"And everyone is saying how Mahaya is becoming of age." She said, testing how her husband will react.

"She's twenty-four!" He exclaimed, shutting his laptop.

"Turning twenty-five in a month! I was married when I was twenty-three!" She argued back.

"Well, these are modern times. Let's wait five more years." Her father argued.

Nisha placed her hand over Dev's and squeezed it.

"No many number of years is going to stop that Dev. She is becoming of age and she needs to get married before people get talking. We don't want that happening again." Nisha reminded him.

Dev sighed.

"I know, honey. I know." He placed his second hand over Nisha's.

Nisha smiled.

"I just...I don't want her to go."

"What do you want to do? Make your future son-in-law live here? Who's going to agree to that?" Nisha asked rhetorically.

"I know one boy." Dev smirked.

Nisha took her hands off his.

"No. I am not marrying her off to some stranger we don't know! And he is not good enough for her." Nisha said, raising her head in pride.

"No one is good enough for our daughter, Nisha."

Nisha sighed.

"You have to talk to her, Dev. You have to talk to her and ask her what she wants to do, when she wants to get married. We need to know what she wants from life."

Dev nodded.

"Fine. I'll have that discussion."

___•____

"Okay. So I'm not dating Rashi anymore. Does that mean you will stop hanging out with Arjun?" Yashraj asked as they got in the car.

Mahaya pursed her lips into a thin line.

"Do I have to?" She asked, pouting.

"No, no. Of course not. Not if you don't want to." he said, sarcastically.

"Oh, thank God!" Mahaya heaved a sigh with relief.

"I was being sarcastic! Of course you have to. I didn't break up with my girlfriend for nothing."

"Why did you anyway?"

"You're kidding, right?" He asked in disbelief.

He got out of the car and straight into the elevator, without waiting for Mahaya.

If she was being oblivious, let her be.

Two can play at that game.

Mahaya was offended that Yashraj left without her.

She got into the elevator and went straight to her father's office.

Her father was talking to some clients and seemed pretty busy.

"Dad, You called for me?" She said.

"Honey, yes. I'm just about done." He smiled.

"Gentlemen, this is my daughter, Mahaya. A lawyer." He introduced with pride.

Mahaya shook hands with them as she smiled.

"So, what's up?"

"Well, you tell me."

"Why would you employ Yashraj here?"

"You are asking that question two months too late." He raised an eyebrow.

She sighed.

"I know. But better late than never, right?"

"Well, I'm thinking of letting Arun, the head of computer department retire."

"And he'll be the new head?!" Her jaw dropped.

"No, of course not. He is one inexperienced fellow. No, I'll be appointing someone else. But I need him to fill in that position."

"Oh, alright."

"Now, why were you upset?" He asked.

Mahaya sighed.

"Rashi and Yashraj were dating. And I kind of made them break up." She admitted sheepishly.

"What did you do?"

Mahaya told him the entire story and her father ended up laughing heartily.

"Girl, I taught you well." He said proudly.

"Yeah. Remember when we exchanged Kartik's shampoo with paint?"

And just like that Mahaya and her father recollected all the pranks they had pulled over the years.

Those two were always a duo, a team.

The daughter-father team was the strongest there was in the Roy household.

"What did you want to talk to me about anyway?" Mahaya asked as she got up.

She had work to do.

Her Dad looked at her for a moment and then shook his head.

"Nothing. I just missed you." He smiled.

Mahaya smiled and gave him a quick kiss of the cheek before leaving.

On the way to her office, her phone rang.

The caller ID read New York project.

Mahaya quickly picked it up.

"Hello, this is Karen Roe, speaking from New York." The voice greeted.

"Hey, this is Mahaya Roy." Mahaya greeted back.

"I am calling you to talk to you about the internship. I've been told that you're interested in our program."

"Yes, I am."

"Well, I am currently in Mumbai and I'd like to meet with you."

"Sure, that wouldn't be a problem. When would you like to meet?"

"I have just settled in. How about tomorrow morning at breakfast? I'll send you my hotel details."

"Sure. I'll see you tomorrow."

"Have a good day."

"You too." Mahaya ended the ca.

She felt happy.

Somehow, from this phone call, her dream of New York didn't seem that far away.

______________________________________________

Now if any of you are wondering why Kartik hasn't been married off first, well, in Indian culture, if there is a daughter who is of age and unmarried, she should be married away first.

Doesn't make sense and not so common nowadays but it is still seen around.

I'm just trying to make people aware of things happening.

The UnWanted Passenger #YourStoryIndiaजहाँ कहानियाँ रहती हैं। अभी खोजें