Part One

The Creature In The Cold

It was a dark and stormy night, snow drifted down from the sky as thunder streaked through the black clouds, screaming at the empty world below. The hazy orange lights of the street flickered as I walked by them, whispering among themselves about the mysteries of the world. My breath showed in small icy puffs as I struggled to walk straight, a bitter cold frost seemed to have wrapped itself around my brain, causing it to freeze. I could feel the cold teeth of snow prickle down the back of my neck all the way through to my screaming bones. I wondered how it had managed to claw its way through the many protective layers of clothing I was wearing. The air smelt sour and rotten, I tried my best to keep the smell out but to no avail. Soon the smell was making my eyes water, clouding my vision in a watery haze.

I reached my house, it stood in a bitter greeting, uninviting and far from what I could consider home. As I walk to the door I try to ignore the whispering behind me for I know all too well that if I turned around whatever was there would be gone. I unlocked the door, having to use too much force to open it, as if the door knew that the house was unsafe or perhaps the door itself disliked me. It slammed behind me in an angry groan, it too was cold from the cruel wind that was now howling outside at the loss of its victim. I turned on the light but it barely did anything to help my vision which was still drowned in tears, my nose not wanting to let go of the rotten stench of the hollow streets outside. I reached for a blanket only to remember that there was never a blanket, I would have to remind myself to try and get one tomorrow.

I headed into the kitchen, opening the fridge but I simply stared at the contents in it, most were rotten and the things that weren't were near expired. It smelled almost as bad as outside. Flies flew around, tiring to get into the open fridge, the buzzing of their wings reminded me of the people who used to stare and mummer about me. I closed the fridge door, and turned to go to my room. I sunk onto my bed which made my muscles ache from the effort. The Bed felt like a box of nails, it creaked and screamed at me every time I moved. I couldn't bare the sound, it was the loudest thing I'd heard in what felt like ages. So I lie there, not moving a muscle, not batting an eye. Listening to the angry Blizzard outside, my thoughts wandering.