Part 5 (The Final Part)

The Creature In The Cold

     "What do you think happened here?" My friend asked as we trudged through the snow. Blood dappled the ground and the howling wind seemed to be the only thing here that made any noise. The buildings around us were clearly abandoned, each door was swung wide open, letting the piles of snow drift inside. I shivered, something wasn't right here. "I dunno but we should hurry. Just se if you can find any open hotels, if there's still people left to run them that is." He peaked into one of the houses, seemingly unbothered by the weirdness of this place.

       My friend entered the house, perhaps looking for people. We had come out of the car and out here to look for some type of motel or a place to spend the night. The snow storm was getting worse, and we didn't want to risk driving in it. The ground was already covered in ice and frost. It was hard to get a footing on the road here, the snow hadn't been cleared and the legs of my pants where soon soaked. I headed to a house that seemed slightly lopsided, the door, like every other place here, was left open. Banging into the side of the house over and over in the wind. As I went to enter the house I stepped on something squishy, it made a horrible cracking-squelching sound. I went still a cold shiver of dread racing down my spine. Slowly, I lifted my foot and looked down into the snow. I looked there and starred in disbelief, my vision blurring. My breathing stopped as I realized I was looking down into the face of a person, her brains pouring out of a cracked skull, her mouth wide open in a scream of terror.

    I stumbled backwards, falling into the cold snow. Something moved in the trees behind the house, it looked like two red beads in the dark, deep shadows. My breath showed in panicked whisps as I ran away from the house, tears streaming down my face. I grabbed my friend by the arm and ran to the car. They sputtered and grumbled, confused and annoyed that I stopped the search but when they saw my pale horrified face they didn't argue. We ran to the car, I started it and drove away as fast as the car could go.

   In the side mirror I could see a ghastly figure watching me. It was plastered with blood and organs and human skin, a smile stretched across its gruesome face. Beatles flying out of its ears and mouth, its limbs piling on the floor like they never stopped growing. It watched me with a horrid delight, like it had just found new prey. Its bead red eyes staring straight into mine through the mirror. "It's not real." I whispered to myself, squeezing my eyes shut and counting to ten. When I opened them I looked at my friend who was starring at the village in shock, pointing to something in the distance. I hesitantly glanced at it, but the village was gone, disappearing in a flurry of snow. The drive was silent, every breath shaky. My heart beat fiercely in my ears as I speed away from whatever horrible place that was. My friends mouth still open in shock as they lay still against their seat, shivering. I convinced myself it wasn't real, I was tired and paranoid, that's all.

   Yet I couldn't shake the feeling that I had just introduced something horrible to the rest of the world, like the ghastly creature that I had conjured in my head was somehow following, slowly chasing us down in the storm. Stalking us in the dark of the freezing cold night.

                                                                                   ~The End~