nine - when I've paid all my debts

Start from the beginning

You cut yourself off as a fireball launches towards you. You throw yourself out of the way of the tunnel entrance, and the fireball strikes the back wall, exploding against the rock.

"Maybe not," you finish weakly, brushing some loose ash off of your pants.

"They're trying to force us into the mountain," Levi grumbles, forcing himself up to his feet. "Burning us out, making it so that it's hard to leave. Whatever they want to do to us, they want to do it here."

"How kind of them," you mutter under your breath. "Regardless, we need water."

"Doubtful they've got any kind of source for that in here." Your ally bends down to the ground to retrieve the empty bottle. "You're right. Better to get some here, let it purify as we walk."

You scoff. "Yeah. We could try staying right here, but they'd probably flood the place with lava or something."

"Don't give them any ideas," Levi says warningly, but he's smirking. "Alright. We go, watch each other's back."

"What, you gonna slice a fireball out of thin air?"

His expression doesn't change. "Maybe."

You roll your eyes. "Well, better than me trying to shoot one. I feel like you'd be more effective."

"Only one way to find out." His gaze meets yours. "Ready?"

"As ready as I'll ever be."

With your backpacks temporarily abandoned in the tunnel entrance to make running easier, you and Levi make your way towards the river. Besides one annoyingly large fireball that makes you both dive out of the way, you make it to the river easily enough, and after scooping the water bottle full, the two of you make a break back to the tunnel.

The fire seems to laugh at you as you run, crackling noisily, but besides the one, there weren't any other fireballs to chase you away. A burning tree fell in your path, sure, but you'd argue that the fireballs were more annoying.

When the two of you get back into the tunnels, you're both out of breath but unharmed. Levi immediately goes for his bag, digging for the water purifying kit. "The sooner this is done," he grumbles, setting to work, "the sooner we can drink it."

"Not complaining," you agree, picking up your own backpack again. "Are we good to move?"

"You want to go?" Levi asks, capping the water bottle and packing it into his bag.

You shrug. "I don't really think we've got a choice."

"Thought you hated playing the Capitol's game."

"I do." You kicked a stray stone. "But I feel like if we stay down here, they'll just start filling the tunnel up with lava or something."

Levi straightens up. "Don't give them any ideas."

Your lips twitch. "Alright. So we go up the tunnel to avoid the onslaught of torture that the Capitol undoubtedly has planned for us- which will remain unnamed," you add, and Levi nods, "and then what?"

"Guess they want us to run into tributes to kill." Levi examines his sword, coated in dirt splotches of ash and dirt. "So, Twelve, we run into people, and we kill them. Sounds like a great time."

"Fabulous," you agree. "After you."

"I'll still the expendable one?"

"We're back to calling me Twelve, so absolutely." You grin. "I literally gave you a better option."

Levi shrugs. "I'll call you what I want."

"Wow. I bet you kill it with the ladies." You think, then add, "or the men. All of the above?"