i. New Orleans

YOUNG BLOOD
i. new orleans

HARSH BREATHS ESCAPED Erin Gilbert's lips as she heaved a cardboard box into the back of her car

HARSH BREATHS ESCAPED Erin Gilbert's lips as she heaved a cardboard box into the back of her car. The entirety of the vehicle had been packed to the brim, not a single space clear of other boxes, bags, or loose items. Everything she would need when she made her way to her new home away from home, New Orleans.

For the last few months, Erin savored the time she had with her family. The miracle that came to pass when the veil between their world and the Other Side fell. The resurrection of her brother, Jeremy. She failed to believe it most days, until she crawled out of bed and found him sitting in the Boarding House parlor or at the kitchen's island counter. But even as the shock faded, she learned to appreciate the gift she had been given.

So, Erin spent as much time as she could with her siblings. After all, they wouldn't be able to see one another when she left for Tulane and Elena for Whitmore. They watched movies, binged at The Grill, and visited with the few friends that were still around throughout the summer.

But all too soon, August reared its head and they were forced to say their goodbyes. Not permanently, of course. They would be just a simple phone call away.

Erin huffed, stepping away as the box remained in place without a lot of shoving. She might not be able to see out the back window, but at least she managed to fit everything inside. Luckily, her apartment was already furnished.

At least Klaus Mikaelson was good for something.

As the back hatch of the car lowered, Erin turned to where her siblings stood beneath the front awning of the home. "That's everything," she voiced, facing them with tears beginning to form in her eyes.

Jeremy pointed at her and exclaimed, "hey, we talked about this. No crying."

"I know. I just - maybe I should stay until you get settled into school," Erin rushed out, realizing what she was about to do. Leave her family and friends for the unknown. "You know, the whole 'burning down the house and faking your death' thing is gonna be hard enough. I could put off going for a few days."

"Stop," Elena replied and moved forward to grasp Erin's arms. "You're going. You're gonna go to class and pull all-nighters, and party on Bourbon Street. But, only on the weekends." She smiled, bringing Erin to laugh.

"Elena's right," Jeremy stated, stepping up to their sister's side. "We'll talk all the time, and we'll see you for Thanksgiving."

Erin knew they were right. It wasn't like she would drive off and never speak to them again. She would just be in a different town, a different state several hours away. But she could always come back whenever she got the chance.