↝ chapter five

no more mr. nice guy - alice cooper
6 | gas station

they had been driving for an entire day. maude sat in the back, her head resting against the window as she watched hawkins speed past. as it eventually faded to woodland she could feel her heart breaking. she wanted to jump out of the truck and run back, even if it would take her all night and day to return.

the car was silent, aside from the stereo which was blasting rock music. the tears only spilled out more as maude was reminded of eddie. she hated how often she thought of him, especially after the destruction of hawkins, and even as the entire town had been convinced that he was a cold-blooded, satan-worshipping murderer— even as they claimed that he had opened a gateway to hell disguised as an earthquake. she just didn't believe any of it. it all seemed too... mundane, too rational. her mind believed the situation to be more alien-like, irrational— strange. but she just didn't know what to think about it.

the truck pulled into an isolated gas station, the lights dim and flickering. dean got out to fill the car with gas, maude joined her uncle in going into the station to stock up on food, drinks, and cigarettes, and brad lit the last joint in the backseat.

maude's backpack bounced against her back as she walked. she refused to part with it— especially where something as precious as her notebook, and her sketches of eddie, would easily become another reason to be tormented and accused by her cousins.

there was one other person in the store aside from the person working behind the register, their back facing the entrance. maude hadn't recalled seeing another vehicle parked at the station, but guessed she may have missed it. she strolled over to the isle where the chips were located and began searching for the ones she knew her cousins liked. the other customer was in the isle in front of her, and as she glanced at their back profile, she couldn't help but think their lean and build was familiar.

they were dressed in black jeans and black boots, wore a black leather jacket and an army green down vest, which had an odd pattern of red blotches on it. they wore a black cap too, and it protruded oddly from the back like it was holding in a lot of hair. maude could smell them, they didn't smell good— they smelt wrong, like blood. like rotting.

"hurry up, would 'ya?" her uncle came up beside her and grabbed a bunch of chip packets at random. "you're wasting time."

"sorry," maude hadn't noticed that the stranger had made their way into the chip isle and was grabbing a few from the shelf a few feet away from her. they had dark sunglasses on which covered most of their face, and a black bandana with skull patterns was wrapped around their neck. maude tried not to stare for too long before she finally reached for a packet of chips that she wanted for herself. "should i get some sweets?"

her uncle ripped one of the chip packets open and shoved a bunch in his mouth. "yeah, get me the good stuff." he then wiped his face free of crumbs and swung his arm, tapping maude on her hip. she grimaced ever-so slightly and walked around the isle, passing the stranger who stood tensely. she tried not to gag as she smelt him, and tried not to stare too hard, but even as she saw a glimpse of his face, she could see the dirt and blood that stuck to it. with a shiver, she went around to the other side of the isle and began looking for the best candy bars and chocolates.

her uncle followed her, eying her as she selected certain sweets. he could sense his mood from his walk, and his tone when he spoke. this was her least favourable mood— when he liked her. his stare was cold, ravaging, inappropriate.