Friends for never

Start from the beginning

"Lord, you're hilarious." I wipe sprinkle of tears at the corner of my eyes.

"I'm serious, my dad knows everything I'm doing. He's sick so I might lose him at any time. I want to spend as much time as possible with him and I want us to be close. There's nothing wrong with that."

"Girl, there's everything wrong with that," I reply with laughter still in my voice. "He's not dying. He's just sick so unless you want to catch whatever he has, I would recommend you take a little step back away from him."

"Are you sure?" She reluctantly questions.

"Yes, I'm sure. When have I ever lied to you?" I really need to stop using that lie on unsuspecting people.

She doesn't seem convinced but I can feel her confidence slipping away gradually, "You don't think it would hurt him?"

"Au contraire, it would do well for the both of you. It's unhealthy for a father and daughter to be that close. You're a teenager, you need your secrets."

"Don't you share secrets with your dad?"

I bite my tongue midchew. "That's none of your business."

I munch on more candies and try to enjoy the ride around town. It's not easy with my rocky relationship with my father keep coming to mind everytime I look at Cassie.

She doesn't say anything more but it's obvious she's feeling worse than I am.

Almost an hour later, the car stops in front of a small but luxurious cabin-like mansion with the word "Kōufuku" raised upon a large green leaf attached to the yellow marble door. Ivy leaves crawl up the white rock walls. A young woman in a soft green kimono and full bloom hair with white flower decorations, appears at the door with a welcoming smile. Standing under the two white pillars supporting the front roof while providing some gallery space, she beckons us to follow her in.

We walk in and find ourselves in a Japanese themed spa. The walls inside are made up of brown bricks cut through by green and white door screens. Women walk up and down flaunting their green kimonos. A small palm tree occupies every corner of the highly opened room.

"Good morning, Ms. Millers. We've been expecting you," an older woman says widening her arms. "Please follow me."

A young man in a white kimono comes up to me to make the walking with crutches process easier for me.

"This place is heaven, it heaven smells like heaven," I think as I inhale a large breathe.

The woman opens a door to let us in. A large bath filled with roses and steaming water dominates the room. It's surrounded with different size rocks and some small wooden cushions. The one window in the room is covered by a white curtain with Japanese words written at the end. Dangling off the ceiling, Japanese lanterns illuminate us with a pale green light.

We follow her into an adjoining room. Its walls are basically green and white door screens. The only furniture are two solid wood massage beds and a little table with a tray containing what seems to be various types of tea.

"You ladies may change here," she says pointing to the two screen doors at the back of the room.

Excited to start relaxing, I rush inside the room without paying attention to my surrounding. One of my crutches catches on a little bonsai tree causing me to lurch forward. Thankfully, the young man catches me before my head hits the floor.

"Oh God," cries Cassie, "Are you alright?"

"I'm fine," I snap, embarrassed at my clumsiness. I guess spending so much time with that nerd is catching up to me.