1.

DISCLAIMER⚠️ I'm not an expert in Greek mythology, culture, or history. I have done heavy research, and since this is a retelling there may be parts of the story that aren't accurate to the history.

I will be uploading a chapter every Monday at 12:00 pm CST!!! Thank you for reading🖤💖 Please comment any feedback, I love improving my work!

Helios can see everything and everyone, but somehow my presence is masked from him and the Gods. The sun glares down at me like he knows, but I continue to walk into the forest line. The pasture of vibrant green grass stretches for miles, making my cottage in the distance look the size of my thumb.

The lake is populated with a few nymphs, and their eyes quickly dart to me as I rush toward the bank. I get to a calm clear lake and breathe in the freshwater scent. As fish swim through the sparkling blue water, I kick off my golden brown sandals.

"Aren't you being too careless? Your mother is going to find out eventually." I hear a familiar feminine voice echo from the shrubs near the lake.

I look up and see Artemis standing near the bank, with her feet in the shallow water. Her long fiery red hair is tossed up with a leather strap, and the bottom of her brown dress barely touches the water. Her skin is light and soft, just like her pale green eyes.

"She's never once caught me, I think I'll be okay," I say confidently.

"I would've thought by now, you'd be free." She says stepping deeper into the pond.

"Me too, but I have all of eternity to change her mind. As for the Gods, none of them know who I am."

"Athena knows of your birth. Who's to say she won't tell them?"

"Athena won't tell anyone." I assure, "I'm going to be her priestess in training, she wouldn't risk my safety."

"You are too careless." She scorns.

I roll my eyes and sink myself into the warm lake. I submerge headfirst into the crisp fresh water and swim closer toward Artemis. As I float to the surface, I feel my long dark hair weigh on my shoulders. I wipe the water from my eyes and float around her.

"I could live here," I suggest. "If I can convince my mom, she might be able to give you something so you can live without water. We could build a cottage here, and we could go explore Sicily island!"

She shakes her head, and bits of water fling from her freckled face.

"I wouldn't step 2 centimeters from the water, you know how I am." She says with a stern voice.

I give her a persuasive nudge. "Come on. If you had the chance, you wouldn't leave?"

"Nymphs don't leave their homes. We have a perfect life here, why would you want to leave?"

"We wouldn't leave permanently. Just for a few days, I want you to see what's out there. Athens, Rome, almost anywhere else in the world."

She gives me a raised brow. "Your mom will never let you go."

"My mother will have to at some point. She can't bind me forever, even if she tried." I say with confidence.

She lightly splashed me with water, and I giggle to splash her back. Before I can splash her again, I stop her with my palm.

"I forgot to tell you! I snuck into the village again." I whisper shout.

Her face grows pale and doesn't radiate the happy countenance I wanted. Her eyes widen and her brows scrunch together.