Long Way Home

Along with being on the opposite side of each other when it came to their work, a personal tragedy pushed married couple Min Tae-gu and Ha Chae-yoon apart. That doesn't stop Tae-gu from sending his ex-wife her favorite foods. And that absolutely doesn't stop Chae-yoon from hoping her husband will come home one day.

His ex-wife? Her husband? Are they divorced? Or they aren't?

Either way, it's been a long way home ~~~

🖼️🖼️🖼️

Min Tae-gu has lost count how many times he has passed through this neighborhood for the past year. If he has to guess— it must be close to a hundred times, if he counts his impromptu night visit.

No wonder he remembers every turn and every speed bump around here. He even makes friend with the old lady manning the street food truck in the corner; his favorite: odeng and tteokboki.

"Ahjumma, 2 cheese corn dogs and a milk tea for takeaway." Beside ordering for himself, he also never misses to order another set of food.

For her.

"Doesn't your lady get bored with these? Twice a week, you buy these foods for her."

Tae-gu smirks. "Told you, she loves your corn dogs."

"No one likes corndog that much."

Oh, but she does. She fell in love with the corndog the first time they visited the area. He loved to make fun of her back then. "Scout's honor, I'm not gonna mock you. The main reason you choose this one is because the house is near this food truck, isn't it?"

She would deck him in the gut and left him without answer to order their favorite, a smile on her face.

Tae-gu sucks in his breath, feeling the sharp sting on his chest as her smiley face comes to mind. The way her lips curved, her forehead creased, and her eyes formed the crescent shape would always be his favorite sight.

"Here comes your order."

"Thank you, Ahjumma."

"Maybe it's time for you to give that to her personally." The old woman tells him quietly.

He stops his hand midair—

"What?"

"I know more than you realize, Tae-gu-ya."

"How?"

"She came here every time, asking who ordered those foods for her."

Oh, shit.

"What did you say?" He asks her worriedly. "I hope you didn't tell her about me."

He hates to hear how much of a coward he truly is, but there's a reason why they were no longer a couple — in the truest sense — and that particular reason will haunt him forever.

The snack lady puts down the money she counts and focuses on him. "I didn't. But I think she knew."

"Why do you think so?"

"She tried to conceal her emotion, but she's not always successful. The annoyance and disappointment were very palpable every time I told her nothing."

He winces at her words. Yeah, annoyance and disappointment always go hand in hand when it comes to him.

"Like she had put hopes to get your name but at the end didn't get anything. Then she left muttering some profanities."

"Profanities?"