| Chapter Seven |

The rest of the week had thankfully gone successfully smooth for Ruth, much to her relief. She had spent most of her time with Uncle Rickey to avoid anymore run-ins with the jerk of her past, and even made up with Emily the day after their argument. She hadn't wanted to brush Emily off the other night, just like Emily didn't mean to raise her voice at her.

But it didn't matter anymore. Not when Emily was finally flying in that Friday night, and Ruth was practically shaking with excitement as she stood by the car. Her eyes impatiently searched over the people leaving the gate, scanning every face for the most special one. The face of someone she considered her best friend.

She wished Jana and Terry could be with her while she waited, but she appreciated the time they wanted to give them. Though it was only a week of them being apart, it was the longest they've been separated for in almost four years.

So, when Emily's familiar waves of dark hair and fiery dark eyes zeroed in on her over the crowd, Ruth's heart leapt with excitement. Before she knew it, she was racing towards her girlfriend with a wide smile, and flung herself into her open arms with a sweet laugh. Emily's arms come crushing around her body, practically picking her up in flight as she dropped her carry-on bag.

"Bella! Where the hell have you been, L—" Emily tried to joke, but a laughing Ruth quickly interrupted her.

"Don't you dare fucking finish that sentence," she warned, wrapping her hands around Emily's cheeks and planting a solid kiss on her awaiting lips.

The kiss was sweet and warm, and obviously cut short because Emily wasn't big on PDA, but it was enough to satisfy Ruth and remind her that Emily was who she deserved. Sparks or not, stability and having someone want her the way Em did was what she wanted. Isn't that what everyone wants?

Ruth pulled back enough to smile at her as Em put her lightly on her feet. She almost laughed at their difference in clothing wear, considering Ruth was stuck in sweatpants and a sweatshirt while Em wore comfortable designer clothes. Leave it to her to ride on a five-hour plane ride with designer slacks and an Express long-sleeve button up.

"You ready?" Ruth teased, squeezing Em's fingers between hers.

"Been ready," she said, winking. "Let's get some food, I'm starving."

"Didn't you have a meal on the plane?"

Emily wrinkled her nose. "Gross, hell no. And you're my girlfriend how?"

Ruth shrugged, tossing Em's luggage in the trunk she opened just a minute before. "Honestly, I thought the Crocs should have been enough to scare you off."

She fake gagged and Ruth grinned widely. "Please don't remind me," Emily joked, cringing visibly.

Ruth pursed her lips and looked shamelessly down at her feet. "I guess this would be a bad time to tell you I'm—"

"I know what atrocities grace your feet, babe. No need to remind me."

Fighting another giggle, Ruth climbed into the car and drove them away from the airport. Her chest eased now that she had Emily in her presence once more, making Oklahoma that much more bearable. She could breathe again.

"So, how have the girls been? You have a good week so far?" Emily chirped, comfortably resting a palm on Ruth's thigh. It was a natural move for her to make.

Ruth forced a smile upon her lips, her stomach clenching. So much for getting to breathe again.

"It's been great," Ruth partially lied. It was great getting to spend time with her family, but her mind's been a jumbled mess since she saw he-who-must-not-be-mentioned at the garage earlier in the week. If she hadn't seen him, then being back in Oklahoma would have been something out of a dream.