𝓋. 𝓉𝓌𝑒𝓃𝓉𝓎-𝓈𝑒𝓋𝑒𝓃: another trigger (ed.)

Začít od začátku

Campbell's response rattles inside his belly, his answer offers no hint to Tommy's query. "As everyone knows, it's a random, inebriated man who has struck your woman."

The remark made the peaky leader's jaw twitch. Of course, the man will take every precaution. Thomas then made the decision to react to his flippant statement with vitriol. "Yet, Inspector Campbell, we both realise that's not the truth."

The copper responds indignantly to this, refusing to give Thomas the advantage. "I don't suppose your folks concern themselves with the truth at all."

After taking one final drag from his cigarette, Thomas opted to ask the follow-up question he had been hoping to get an answer to, "Then, who gave you Freddie Thorne?"

In response to his vitriolic claim regarding his dishonesty, Campbell made the decision to react to the subject in a hostile and menacing way. "Well, as everyone in the city knows, it was you, Mr. Shelby."

The shrewd copper turned his back on the gang leader and went to leave, not wishing to spend further moments in his company. Thomas was left with a seething maelstrom within him.

A man who can't fulfil his commitment shouldn't be cherished. And Thomas regards Inspector Campbell as such. The Shelby man will make absolutely sure to provide the inspector with the most tough truth he can bear. If he believes the Peaky leader is foolish, then he must be behaving foolishly himself.

It's only a matter of hours before they each face the pills they found difficult to stomach, yet Thomas is in a better bargaining position. Why? It's because he's got a whiskey-loving barmaid by his side, and she will help him swallow whatever is hard to take in.  

Operating in the tavern for the following days, Mar was conscious of the fact that something was going to go disastrously wrong. She found out later that her predictions were justified once she heard a hurried, intermittent tap on the sealed double doors of the pub while she laid the final few glasses on a tray.

Grace had her share of duties the previous morning, so she is given the responsibility of locking the tavern at nightfall. While cleaning, she relished the possibility of spending some time by herself. It did provide her with the necessary time and room for her dreadful musings.

She softly set the platter as well as the tablecloth on the wayside. Mar made a stealthy approach to the pub's dual doors while gripping her crimson garb in trepidation.

Although she is aware that there are blinders placed everywhere she goes to keep an eye on her in case she encounters another risk, what transpires makes her feel less protected in the lifestyle she is following.

Marianna unlocked the door and was unsurprised to observe Thomas rushing through, pacing swiftly around the room and securing each door and window, not bothering to share a word or two with Marianna.

Wincing at the guy's impoliteness. Meanwhile, curious, she didn't question him.

Mar was about to lock the entrance of the pub and mimic the man's actions when Thomas' voice boomed inside the place. "No, leave that open."