𝒾. 𝒮𝒾𝓍: hop on

ᴺᴼᵂ ᴾᴸᴬᵞᴵᴺᴳ : i only wanna talk to you - the maine

⇄ ◃◃ ⅠⅠ ▹▹ ↻

i. six: ❝hop on❞

✵✵✵

Small Heath, Birmingham

After the previous day's confrontation, Marianna James departed the Shelby residence, ensuring to tend to and tidy up Arthur's injuries before leaving. Thomas urged her to stay, seemingly unable to function without her, as if she were his very lifeline.

But she chuckled and dismissed his pleas, telling him to handle his own affairs and leave her be. With plenty on her plate already, she had no desire to get entangled in whatever trouble Thomas had gotten himself into with the robbery.

The next day dawned, and Marianna leaned against the counter in the pub. The atmosphere was alive with joy and laughter, the patrons reveling in the entertainment. Harry stood beside her, wearing a satisfied smile as they watched Grace perform for the crowd, her voice resonating with confidence and pride.

Though Marianna couldn't quite grasp the appeal of Grace's singing, she couldn't help but admire the Irishwoman's self-assurance on stage. It stirred memories of her mother, who used to sing to her while her father and Mal joined in on the melody. Lost in reverie, Marianna absentmindedly drummed her fingertips on the countertop, softly humming along to the background music, her eyes fixed on Grace.

Suddenly, Marianna's expression soured as she noticed the male voices joining in the chorus fading away. Those who had been standing by the countertop, captivated by Grace's performance, now turned their attention to Marianna and Harry, diverting their eyes back to their drinks.

Except for Grace, who continued to sing with fearless abandon, the entire pub fell into an unsettling silence in the blink of an eye.

The sudden hush in the pub was attributed to the entrance of the Peaky Blinders, commanding attention as they made their way inside. Thomas removed his peaked cap, his focus fixated on Grace's captivating performance.

Meanwhile, John approached Marianna at the counter with a quiet laugh, inquiring, "What's got into the new lass?"

"Was it not self-evident, John?" Marianna's response came as a whispered retort, her gaze drifting towards Thomas, who seemed to hold Grace in an intense gaze. Grace's confidence wavered under the weight of Thomas's intimidating presence, prompting Marianna to counter, "What's wrong with your brother?"

John chuckled and glanced between Thomas and Marianna with a mischievous smirk, remarking, "Same old, Tom, yeah?"

As Marianna observed, she felt herself clenching her apron tightly in one fist, a knot forming in her throat at the sight of Thomas's intense stare fixed on the captivating Irish woman.

She swallowed down her futile jealousy as Grace finished her performance, still unable to tear her gaze away from Thomas's piercing blue eyes. Marianna reminded herself that Thomas was free to look at whomever he pleased; their romantic ties were a thing of the past.