𝒾𝒾𝒾. 𝒻𝑜𝓊𝓇𝓉𝑒𝑒𝓃: a day out

ᴺᴼᵂ ᴾᴸᴬᵞᴵᴺᴳ : only angel - harry styles

⇄ ◃◃ ⅠⅠ ▹▹ ↻

iii. fourteen: ❝a day out

✵✵✵

Small Heath, Birmingham

The past several days in Small Heath have been nothing short of tumultuous, to say the least.

Marianna James had heard of a chilling incident just a couple of days ago while passing by the paint shops. While violence was no stranger to the streets of Small Heath, the recent presence of the new copper and the simmering tensions in the area made such occurrences all the more unsettling.

What made this particular incident stand out was the perpetrator—a woman. An eyewitness had recounted seeing a young lady fleeing the scene of the gunshot, her blonde hair trailing behind her like a haunting echo of the violence that had transpired.

Then a few days ago, as well, she traversed the familiar streets of her neighborhood when she encountered John. He divulged the news that Freddie Thorne had returned to Birmingham. The implications of this revelation, especially considering Ada's marriage to Thorne, were significant, casting a shadow of uncertainty over the already turbulent atmosphere.

And then there was the unexpected development at her workplace. Harry, visibly distressed, informed her that Arthur Shelby had acquired the Garrison Tavern. This meant that Mar now worked under Arthur's employ—a change that, while not burdensome in itself, added to the sense of upheaval she felt amidst the chaos unfolding around her.

Despite the weight of these developments, Marianna soldiered on through her duties at the pub that afternoon. Pouring drinks, collecting glasses, and cleaning up spills became her refuge, a repetitive yet grounding routine amidst the turmoil of Small Heath.

The arrival of Ada Shelby at the Garrison Tavern was a harbinger of distress. The James woman's hazel eyes widened in concern, hastened to intercept Ada as she stumbled through the door, clearly in discomfort. With a gentle touch, Marianna guided Ada to the counter, her heart aching at the sight of the Shelby girl's obvious distress.

"Ada," Marianna began softly, brushing aside strands of sweat-soaked hair from Ada's forehead, "Are you alright? Are you in pain?"

Ada's tense features softened slightly as she met Marianna's gaze, but an undercurrent of apprehension lingered in her eyes.

"Have you seen Freddie?" Ada's voice trembled with urgency.

The gypsy James' heart sank at the mention of Freddie's name.

"No." She murmured, shaking her head, her own worry mounting with each passing moment.

"What 'bout Tommy?" Ada pressed, her expression contorted in pain.

Marianna hesitated, her hand hovering in the air as if caught between offering comfort and withholding distressing news. Eventually, she lowered her hand, her silence speaking volumes. Unable to bear the uncertainty any longer, Marianna took charge, guiding Ada to the pub's restroom.