𝒾𝒾𝒾. 𝓈𝒾𝓍𝓉𝑒𝑒𝓃: test drive

ᴺᴼᵂ ᴾᴸᴬᵞᴵᴺᴳ : off to the races - lana Del Rey

⇄ ◃◃ ⅠⅠ ▹▹ ↻

iii. sixteen: ❝test drive

✵✵✵

Small Heath, Birmingham

The following morning dawned, casting a soft glow through the windows of Marianna James' home. With a heavy heart, she rose from her bed and began her morning routine.

She meticulously tended to her appearance, taking extra care to ensure that she presented herself as best as she could. Each brush of her hair, each adjustment of her attire, was a silent acknowledgment of the day ahead.

Today marked the start of the Cheltenham Festival, a day she had been dreading. Yet, as she stood before the mirror, gazing at her reflection, a sense of resignation washed over her. It was too late to back out now, even if she wanted to. Tommy wouldn't allow it, and deep down, she knew she didn't truly want to resist.

Tia had already gone for work and Diego is likely with the Peaky Blinders, Marianna found herself alone in the quietude of her home. It was a solitude she had grown accustomed to, a solitude she felt she deserved.

With deliberate care, the gypsy woman eased the nude hosiery onto her legs, savoring the sensation. It had been years since she had worn such delicate attire, and the feeling was both unfamiliar and strangely comforting.

As she reached for the garment she had chosen with John, her fingers traced over the smooth chiffon fabric, a smirk playing at the corners of her lips. Slipping into the blood-red silk dress, she marveled at how it complemented her light brown skin, the color rich against her complexion.

Standing before the mirror, Mar breathed a sigh of relief. The dress hugged her figure just right, offering a sense of comfort without sacrificing style. But as she examined herself, she realized the need for something to shield her bare arms from the chill of the day.

The strawberry-blonde hair of hers is left loose, a departure from her usual braids, Mar's thoughts turned somber. She reached for a box tucked away, containing her late mother's accessories, untouched since her parents' passing. It was a moment filled with bittersweet nostalgia, a reminder of the loved ones she had lost.

As she adorned herself with the cherished trinkets, Mar couldn't help but hope for a positive day ahead, a fitting tribute to her mother's memory. With a final glance in the mirror, she polished her appearance, adding a crimson gloss to her lips to brighten her countenance.

With her purse in hand, Mar made her way to the door, ensuring she was armed with more than just accessories. John's revolver tucked safely away, along with a pack of cigarettes and matches, she prepared herself for whatever the day may bring.