"You didn't answer when I knocked." He said, sitting next to me on the bed.

"Oh, sorry." I said, seeing him glance to my phone that was still on.

"It's ok," He said, "I just wanted to make sure you were ok; you were acting kind of weird at dinner."

"Oh, yeah, sorry." I mumbled, turning my phone off, hoping he didn't see the E-Mail.

"Stop apologizing." He said with a smile.

"Sorry." I said, not even thinking.

"Stop it." He said jokingly.

"Sorry." I said sarcastically, which made him laugh.

I looked down at my phone, messing with the broken case, letting my smile fade at the thought of the funeral.

"Um, I, uh." Hunter stuttered, seeming like he wanted to ask something but not sure if he should ask about it.

I looked up at him which made him continue.

"Did someone die?" He asked carefully.

I froze.

He knew, he saw the E-Mail, and he knew.

That was the one thing I didn't want them to know about.

"Sorry, I didn't mean to look, I just saw it on your phone." He said quickly, realizing what he just said.

"Uh, no, it's ok." I said, snapping the hair tie against my wrist to try and distract myself from not crying.

I didn't want to tell him, but either way, he already knew, so there was no point in hiding it from him now.

"My friend died a few weeks ago, but it's not a big deal, they just-" I was cut off by him hugging me.

"I'm so sorry." He whispered, holding me tightly.

I immediately felt tears in my eyes.

I blinked they away, promising myself that I was not going to cry in front of him.

"It's not your fault." I said, faking a smile as best as I could.

"But I know it still hurts, and I'm sorry you have to go through all of this." He said, still holding me tightly.

When we pulled away, I immediately started playing with the hair tie again, trying to keep the tears away.

"Do you mind if I ask how he died?" Hunter asked slowly.

"Suicide." I mumbled, snapping the hair tie against my wrist again.

I was pulled into another very tight hug, which again, made tears cloud my vision.

"Sweetheart, I'm so sorry." He whispered into my hair, gently kissing my head.

That was the first time I could ever remember someone kissing me.

A tear did manage to escape my eye, but I whipped it away before he could see.

"Is that why you panicked when Ace cut himself?" Hunter asked, putting the pieces together.

"Please don't tell anyone." I said quickly, realizing that he now knew the one thing that he could use to manipulate me into doing literally anything he wanted.

"Sweetie, I have to tell dad." He said, making me panic.

"No, he can't know." I said immediately.

If he knew then everyone would end up knowing.

And that cannot happen.

"Adeline, he needs to know." Hunter said sympathetically.

"Hunter, you cannot tell him." I said.