twenty nine

Tate.
Two days later.

I dressed Lily in a black dress, a "bunny" look for today due to her request.

I kept my hair straight, also wearing a black dress, because what else were you supposed to wear to a funeral?

"No!" Lily yelled as i tried to put sandals on her, so i decided not to pick a fight today.

"What shoes, Lily?"

She pointed to her converse, so i quickly put them on her as Luke walked in, wearing slacks and a nice button down.

I immediately kissed him, seeing him smile

"Both of my girls are looking rather gorgeous." He smiled, picking up Lily as i did one final check on both of us, deciding that it was all okay.

Luke drove us to the funeral home- hearing Lily hum in the back.

I warned Luke about his family, about how mean they were- and told him that they would probably say something, to ignore it if they did.

We were one of the first there and i immediately declared that we were not staying the entire time, only visitation.

I carried Lily in, Luke on my side the entire time.

"Ms. Tate" a worker that i had met when discussing funeral arrangements immediately greeting me with a hug.

"You must be lily." She smiled, looking to her.

"Yes and this is my boyfriend, Luke." I introduced, seeing them shake hands.

"Boyfriend!" I immediately heard the voice i ansolutely hated yell out.

"Wanda" i fake smiled immediately.

"What you couldnt even wait a week until after he was murdered to move on-" "Dylan and i hadnt been together for several weeks." I immediately explained, seeing her wiping tears.

I felt sympathy for her- her only son was dead.

"He never even told me that you two separated." She cried out, wiping tears.

"Claire is who you need to talk to." I told her calmly, feeling Luke's hand rubbing my back gently, just reminding me that he was there.

"Where can i locate her?" She cried.

"Last i heard- San Diego Police Department."

Lets just say, that made her cry even more.

We all slipped past her, heading inside, where i immediately saw his group of friends and distant family members.

"Need me to hold her?" Luke asked and before i could even respond- she reached for him, making me smile lightly.

Before we could get to the casket- his best friend Jack, who was more than aware of everything he did to me- stepped out.

Im not going to lie and say that it didn't intimidate me.

I think Luke felt this from me, and instantly lut his free arm around my waist.

"I just wanted to say that im sorry." Jack spoke.

I blinked to him.

"Not for your loss-" he paused, running his fingers through his hair, exhaling.

"I let him hurt you, a lot- right in front of me, just because he was my nest friend." I swore i could see tears in his eyes.

"And i ended up laughed when he wanted to force you into a threesome, and i just thank God that i didnt, because that wouldve been me raping you, but im sorry that i even let him talk me into watching-" "stop." I spoke firmly, feeling my body wanting to cry.

"Dont ever bring this up again- especially in front of my child." I was proud that my voice didnt crack.

"Im just- im sorry."

I simply walked away.

By the time we were at the casket, i knew i wasnt going to make it without crying.

"You son of a bitch" i mumbled to him.

But i pushed my anger away, knowing Lily needed this moment.

"Lily baby, say bye to daddy." I spoke calmly, seeing her head lift from Luke's shoulder.

I watched her reaction as she looked to his face- her eyebrows moving together.

"Thats not daddy." She whispered to me.

"Baby-" "daddy is not there." She told me immediately.

And for a split second, i saw her eyes lock with something- just over the casket.

I looked for what she was looking at- seeing nothing.

But then she smiled before looking back to me.

Luke and i glanced to each other- equally freaked out.

"Baby- are you okay?" I asked her calmly, touching her cheek.

"You were right." She smiled to me

"Daddy has Gus."

Luke and i made eye contact, my heart pounding

How did she know i was right?

We ended up being interrupted by a few of Dylan and I's old friends.

But i couldnt shake what Jack had said to me

Soon the funeral home was getting pretty packed and I looked to Luke

"Ready to go?" I whispered to him.

"Im ready if you are, baby."