two

TRIGGER WARNING
CONTAINS ABUSIVE CONTENT.

"Daddy just-" I stopped talking, trying to figure out what words I was going to use.

"I honestly, don't know baby" I exhaled to her, seeing her staring to me.

"I think he just gets frustrated and doesn't know how to handle that anger." I finished telling her, not knowing if she was completely understanding me or not.

She slowly nodded, acting as if she understood.

"Will daddy get mad and hit me?" She asked me calmly.

"Absolutely not, never." I told her quickly.

"Mommy will never let daddy hurt you."

After finishing her ice cream, I carried her back to the car, bucking her in before driving us home.

I unloaded Lily before bringing in all the groceries, where I was greeted with Lily's loud laugh.

I rounded the corner into the kitchen, seeing her dad holding her in her arms, covering her in kisses.

"Hey Tate" he smiled towards me as I set everything down.

Maybe he was in a good mood today.

"Hey" I mumbled back.

"Did you grab some scotch for me?" he asked as he set Lily on the counter, himself standing in front of her to protect her from falling off.

"You didn't tell me you needed scotch" I lied to him.

I was trying to get him to stop drinking.
He was always so much meaner when he was drinking.

"That's a fucking lie" his entire demeanor immediately changed, making me swallow the lump in my throat.

"Baby- I swear I never heard you ask for it" I immediately lied.

"What do you fucking mean, I saw you write it down!" He yelled towards me.

"Okay- I must've just missed it. I'm sorry- I'll run to the store and grab you some right now." I spoke as he grabbed the bottom of my shirt, forcing me to step to him.

"Might as well forget it- I have to be at work in thirty minutes anyway" he angrily spoke, holding me inches away from his face.

He worked night shift, and never went without a drink.
Rarely went without beating the shit out of me before.

"The store is a five minute drive at most-"

I was delivered a firm- close handed- hit to my face, instantly making my ears ring, my hands catching my fall as I hit the ground.

I touched my face as the ringing in my ears slowly faded to where I could hear Lily's cries.

"Don't cry baby girl." I heard Dylan say towards Lily, stepping away from her and towards me as she screamed.

He crouched, grabbing my face firmly, making a tear slide down my face.

And just as he brought his arm back to hit me again, movement caught my eye

And I watched my baby jump off the counter- trying to get to me

And just as I felt his fist come into contact with my temple, I watched her hit the ground

"Lily!"