Four years ago when Remi was in seventh grade ...

She woke up in the morning lying in the hallway on the top floor of the house. Cold air streamed through the broken window, and the alarm clock on her phone rang loudly. She got angry yesterday because her mother didn't answer the call, then she threw a stone at the window and cut herself on the glass, so she cried, she cried for a long time, almost didn't eat anything all day and somehow fell asleep in the hallway.

It was Monday, and that meant she had to go to school. She heard someone called her on her phone. It was Imber who was probably worried about Remi since she hadn't called all day yesterday. With a sunken face, she picked up her phone and called her.

"Hello ..." Remi murmured in a grim tone.

Imber's voice responded, "Hey, Remi, you do know we have school today? You could hurry a little."

"I-I can't."

"Are you okay?"

"No, not really."

"You hungry again?"

"Probably ..." She muttered, looking at the shattered glass that was all over the place.

"Oh, don't do that to yourself. I'm getting really worried about you."

Remi looked at the ceiling, wishing she could just skip today's day altogether. "Imber ... if I was suddenly gone, would anyone notice?"

"Don't say that, of course, they would, and I would be the first one!" Imber felt a shiver through her spine at the words she had just heard from her favorite person. "Do you want me to come over?"

"No need, I don't wanna bother you ..."

"You are never bothering me. Come on, just wait for me, and I'll be there in a few minutes." Imber hung up and put on her sports sneakers, storming out of the house.

She soon stopped by while Remi was still lying in the same spot. Climbing the top floor, she again saw a scene that had been repeated too many times, Remi lying in thought as she gazed at the empty ceiling with eyes that didn't get much sleep.

"Hey, girlie ... are we going?" Imber asked her as she packed her things for school.

"Mhm."

"Great. You hungry?"

"No."

"But you gotta eat something. How about ... chocolate?"

"Yay! Chocolate!" Remi brightened a little, turning her head to her.

"At least that can still cheer you up." Imber smiled as took Remi's backpack as she decided to carry it herself.

Taking a deep breath, Remi lifted her head from the floor, and then finally stood up and hugged Imber tightly.

"I don't want to go to school." She murmured as her face was pressed against Imber's chest.

"We can't skip classes." Imber stroked her messy hair as she held her tightly in a hug. "Last time they almost caught us. In addition to that, we have two strikes."

"I hate Patricia! I want her to go away!"

"Hey, hey, calm down a little, we can't do anything against her in the school area. I know she's a bitch, but don't worry, I'm protecting you. If it's the only option, I'll beat her up in the middle of the hallway."

"No, don't." Remi raised her head, looking worriedly into her eyes. "You've already ended up in detention many times. I don't want it to happen again, and especially not because of me ..."