Chapter 21

Clara tried to ignore the feeling of every single person around her staring at her, she quickly glanced over at Newt who had a look of disbelief, and almost... betrayal in his eyes. A guard roughly grabbed her arm, leading her towards her mother.

"Hello, Clarissa."

"Mom."

"I'm disappointed in you, I really hoped you'd turned over a new leaf. But you let me down, again."

"Not my fault you're stupid enough to trust me." She said, the sarcasm dripping from her voice

"You can drop the attitude now, there's no point."

"Kiss my ass."

"That's enough. Get her in line."

The guard holding her shoved her to the ground next to Thomas, and she looked over at him, nodding her head. When she turned back to face her mother she noticed Teresa appearing from behind a guard, followed closely by Theodore, and she felt her anger rising again.

"I'm glad you two are safe," Ava said, pulling the pair towards her.

"What the hell? Teresa? Teddy?" Frypan muttered,

"Wait, what's going on?" Newt asked, looking between the pair and Ava, not connecting the dots.

"They're with Wicked," Thomas mumbled,

"Since when?"

"Well Teddy never left them, did he?" Clara hissed, emphasizing the stupid nickname he'd come up with. Her brother smirked slightly, leaning towards her,

"You always were jealous of me. Can't say I blame you though. It must be hard living in my shadow, knowing you'd never be better than me. You're a mistake, Rissa."

"Yeah, well at least I'm not a fucking coward."

"Real mature."

"Bite me."

"That's enough." Janson interrupted, walking towards them. "These two have always had an evolved appreciation of the greater good. Theodore offered so graciously to follow all of you and deliver you, and the right arm, to us. And Teresa, well, once we restored her memories it was only a matter of time."

"I'm sorry." Teresa uttered, looking at all of them, "I had no choice, this was the only way. We have to find a cure."

"She's right. This is all just a means to an end." Ava added, "You used to understand that Clarissa, and you, Thomas. No matter what you think of me, I'm not a monster. I'm a doctor, I swore an oath to find a cure. No matter the cost. I just need more time."

"And more blood." Clara heard Mary shouting from behind them,

"Hello, Mary. I hoped we'd meet again. I'm sorry it had to be under these circumstances."

"I'm sorry about a lot of things too. But not this. At least my conscience is clear."

"So is mine."

Clara flinched as a gunshot rang out, swinging her head back around to see Janson aiming his gun at Mary. Her heart dropped as Mary collapsed to the ground,

"Mary? MARY!" Vince shouted, dropping beside the woman and cradling her head, "NO!"

Clara looked over at Thomas, giving him a quick nod as Ava ordered Janson to start loading the kids onto the Berg. A guard came over and lifted her up, pushing her towards the Berg but she quickly pulled out Jorge's bomb, tossing it to Thomas before pulling out the switch and holding it up in the air.

"Everybody get back!" Thomas shouted,

"Stand back!" Clara joined in, walking to stand next to him.

"Let them go, Ava, just let them all go!" He shouted