Chapter 14

Flashback

Life at Wicked became slightly more bearable for Clara after she'd met Newt, Alby, and Minho. The four of them, plus Thomas and Teresa, used to meet up every night and explore Wicked. Although she already knew where everything was she enjoyed watching the boys give the tour to Thomas and Teresa, explaining everything in their own way.

The first night they'd gone exploring they went to visit the Group B bunks, and Alby explained that Newt always found a reason to go there since his sister was one of the subjects. Clara remembered her brother mentioning the English siblings when they presented the maze, but she'd never made the connection until then. Newt told her and Thomas about her, her name was Lizzie but they'd changed it to Sonya. He cried when he told them, and it made Clara hate Wicked even more than she already did. There stood Newt, a few feet away from his own sister but he wasn't even allowed to remember her.

The second night Minho took them to the research lab where Clara knew her brother and a team were developing the creatures they were going to put into the maze, she didn't tell the others though, she didn't want to reveal anything that would get her in trouble with her brother, especially after his outburst. She wanted to stay as far away from him as possible

The third and fourth nights were filled with all sorts of adventures. Minho took them to the admin offices on the third, where they'd found a pair of employees lingering after work for some 'private time' and Alby had to stop Minho from jumping out and scaring the couple to death, even though Clara would've loved to see that happen. They explored the cafeteria, labs, a sports facility, and even places Clara didn't know existed. And she'd never felt happier, she had friends. Brenda noticed her changed attitude of course, but she didn't ask about it, she was just happy to see the girl smiling.

It was the fifth night of their adventures, and Clara was making her way toward the maintenance room, greeting her friends as she entered and sat next to Newt. Alby and Minho were engaged in an intense wrestling match in the middle of the room. A few minutes later Thomas and Teresa joined them, looking slightly concerned about the fight taking place in the room, but their faces changed when Alby flipped Minho over and let out a loud whooping laugh,

"Not this time, sucker!" He yelled, pressing his arm against Minho's chest, holding him to the ground as Newt slapped the floor three times. Alby jumped up and pumped his arms in the air, celebrating his victory.

"Alright, alright." Newt said, stretching his arms over his head and leaning back, "Let's get on with it then shall we?"

"Get on with what?" Clara questioned,

"Well, we've pretty much explored this place from one end to the other. So, tonight, ladies and gentleman. We're going to explore the great outdoors."

Clara's breath hitched in her throat at the suggestion, she'd been outside before, on the various balconies the Wicked building had. But she knew the risk that the group would be taking by going outside. Especially Newt, who she knew wasn't immune. But if she argued she knew they would be suspicious. So she kept her mouth shut the entire journey, listening as the others in the group spoke about the outside, and she learned that this wasn't the first time the three boys had ventured outside. That made her slightly less anxious, if they hadn't been caught before, surely they wouldn't be caught now.

When they reached the door that lead outside, Minho opened it, stepping through, then Alby. Newt gestured for the rest of them to go before him and they did, stepping into the cool air outside. Clara watched as Teresa and Thomas took in their surroundings, knowing they'd never been allowed outside the Wicked compound before. She failed to spot Newt staring at her, noticing her nonchalant attitude at being outside and realizing this probably wasn't her first time.