Chapter 20

"In the beginning, we were lost. All we knew for sure was that the younger you were, the stronger your chances." Mary said, walking around the tent, grabbing all sorts of different liquids and equipment.

"You worked for Wicked?" Thomas asked,

"She used to. A long time ago." Clara answered for her. When Mary had worked at Wicked Clara found herself spending a lot of time with the woman, since she taught her chemistry, and she grew to love her. Her kindness and warmth were a stark contrast to the cruel, cold walls of Wicked that Clara had grown up in. Mary became like a second mother to her, and Clara felt like she loved her more than she did her real mother.

"You know at first we had the best intentions. Find a cure, save the world. It was clear you kids were the key, cause you were immune. But why? Eventually, we found an answer."

"An enzyme." Thomas finished for her, nodding over at Clara as he remembered what she'd told the group in the scorch after they'd escaped from Wicked.

"That's right. Once that enzyme is separated from the bloodstream, it can serve as a powerful agent to slow the spread of the virus."

"So you found a cure?" Thomas asked her,

"Not exactly. The enzyme can't be manufactured, only harvested from the immune, the young."

"Of course, that didn't stop the fuckers." Clara scoffed, gently brushing her hand over Brenda's forehead.

"No, it didn't. If Wicked had their way they'd sacrifice an entire generation. All for this." Mary lifted up a small syringe containing some blue liquid. "A gift of biology and evolution. But one not meant for all of us."

She walked over to Brenda, grabbing her arm and gently injecting the syringe into her vein. Immediately her breathing began to slow, she stopped panting and her body stopped shaking.

"How long will that give her?" Clara asked,

"It's different for everyone. A few months, maybe. But that's the catch, isn't it? She'll always need more."

Mary stood up again, heading back towards her equipment,

"Jorge, come on. Let's go, let her rest." Clara whispered, holding his arm and standing up, leading him out of the tent, Mary following behind them.

"Thank you, Mary, really," Clara said once they were outside, pulling the older woman into a hug.

"Of course. I'm glad you're okay Clarissa, I didn't think I'd ever see you again after your mother decided to put you into the maze."

Clara pulled away from her, smiling before the doctor took off, leaving her and Jorge behind. She turned to face him and noticed a tear rolling down his cheek,

"Hey, it's okay Jorge. She's gonna be okay now." She whispered,

"I thought I lost her, Raz. I can't lose her." He responded, wrapping his arms around her. She returned the hug, swaying slightly on her feet as they stood like that for a few seconds.

"You won't." She reassured him, gently patting his back before pulling away from him.

"I- I'm gonna stay here. I need to speak with Thomas." He said, taking a seat on a crate nearby. Clara nodded to him before turning away and walking back into the camp, she looked around for her friends and spotted Sonya, Harriet, and Aris sitting on some logs around a fire.

"Aris!" She called, jogging closer to them, "Hey, where are the others?"

"Up there." He said, pointing at a hill to their left.

"Alright, thanks."

Clara turned and saw Minho, Newt, and Frypan sitting on some rocks on the hill Aris pointed out and she made her way towards them, climbing up the side of it. Once she reached the top she moved to sit on a rock next to Newt,