He tries to compose himself, but his grin broadens despite his efforts. "So, you do want a ride, then."

You hang your head and chuckle. "A ride home, Maverick."

"Sure," he says. "I was just going to hit the showers first."

You glance up at him. "Now?"

He rubs the back of his neck. "I just did a workout."

You blink at him. "Can't you shower at home?"

"You don't want to be holding onto my sweaty shirt the entire ride home."

You stare at him. "Just change your shirt."

He sucks in his cheeks to keep from grinning. "Why are you so opposed to me taking a shower? It's not like I'm inviting you to join me."

You gulp uncomfortably. "I'm fine with it," you say quickly. "Just do it already so we can get out of here."

"Of course," he adds playfully, "I'm not not inviting you."

You look up at the ceiling in exasperation. "Just go, will you?"

He laughs. "Come on," he says, starting for the stairwell. "You can hold my towel."

You take a deep breath. "I'm not doing that," you call after him.

...

Maverick turns the handle of the locker room and holds the door open for you.

"I'll wait out here," you say.

He watches you levelly. "There are walls," he assures you.

"Why do I need to go in?"

He shrugs. "How else am I going to talk to you?"

"Why do you need to talk to me?" you ask incredulously.

He purses his lips in thought, then responds, "I like talking to you."

You let out a sigh and step into the locker room hesitantly, looking around at the rows of beige lockers that had been obscured by steam on your previous visit.

Maverick strides ahead of you and proceeds to take off his tank top as he walks.

You stare at his back for a couple of seconds before pointedly looking away.

He takes one of the folded towels off a rack and heads around the corner toward the showers. A moment later, you hear the water come on.

You let out a shaky sigh, sitting down on the bench beside his crumpled shirt. You swallow. "So," you call. "What did you want to talk about?"

You imagine him chuckling behind the wall. "How was your day?" he calls back.

You laugh. "It was pretty fucking dreadful," you reply. "But, then again, you should know. You were there for most of it."

Maverick doesn't respond right away, and you look up at the steam coiling into the ceiling behind the lockers expectantly. You cross your legs and start shaking one of them anxiously. Then, the water stops abruptly.

Your leg stops jittering and you glance up over the lockers again. "That was a quick shower."

"Just needed a rinse," he responds.

You graze your bottom lip with your teeth, sensing an edge to his tone. You stand up just as he rounds the corner with his towel wrapped around the lower half of his body. He looks like he hasn't bothered to dry himself. You try to steady your breathing as your heartbeat accelerates.