CHAPTER SEVENTEEN

I have always been someone who loved the holidays. Christmas was always my favorite when I was younger, it still is. Spending time with family, exchanging gifts, cooking with my mother and just having that special warmth that comes with being with your family. Lex and I’s first Christmas as a married couple was amazing, we got to experience each other’s Christmas traditions – I highly enjoyed creating our own. Ones that we will teach and share with our children.

Obviously this year is special because it is our first Christmas with the twins and it has been a blast. We spent it as a big extended family. The only missing link was Gigi and Bryce due to them spending with their families. Thankfully, we had already exchanged the gifts that we got for each other.

Tonight, Isadora is hosting a New Year’s Eve party. I am both excited and terrified of going. I don’t feel entirely okay with leaving the babies, even if it is only for one night. My parents, June, Harvey and Nana will be having a special night of their own and Mom and her bestie June have offered to babysit not only the twins but Shiloh too.

“You need a night out to unwind.” Were mom’s words to me when she insisted that I go to this get together at Isa and Tommy’s place. I get what she’s saying, but that does not make tonight any easier for me. Lex made a decision to mainly work from home and only attend meetings when necessary. The time away from the office has been quite amazing because he is with me and the twins all the time. We have practically spent every waking moment over the past eight weeks since the babies were born together as a family. It also has been amazing to have June around. My family left for home a week after the twins’ birth and only got back a few days before Christmas.

I release a sigh of content as I soak my tired and sore muscles in the bathtub. Bubbles froth up and cover my body. I needed this, motherhood is not an easy job and I’ve got a lot more ahead of me, I know that. This is why I am savoring every second of relaxation I can get from this bath.

“Rose?” Lex’s voice pulls me out of my head as he opens the door poking his head in.

I shake my head at him, “Knocking is a thing you know.”

He smiles and walks in closing the door behind him. I watch him make his way towards me and sit on the edge of the tub.

My lips quirk up and mirror his smile, “I’m serious Lex. What if I was pooping?”

“Then I’d sit and watch you poop.” He is so nonchalant and I can tell that he is not joking.

I laugh, “We’re getting too comfortable with each other.”

He leans down, our faces inches apart, “Isn’t that the whole point of being married?”

“You’re disgusting.” I say teasingly. This makes that panty dropping grin of his to appear.

“You love it.” Our lips connect in a tender embrace. I love kissing Lex, I could never get tired of it. He is so good at it so I guess that’s why I’m addicted to it.

As we pull away from each other I steer our conversation in a different direction , “Are the babies asleep?”

A deep chuckle rumbles from his chest, “Nope, they refuse to sleep as if they know that we won’t be spending the night at home.”  He shakes his head in wonder, you can tell that Lex loves being a dad. It makes him happy, which makes me happy.

“You know we can just stay at home and not go.” He says. As much as I’d like that, we can’t.

“We promised Isa that we’d be there.” And I am not going to disappoint her when she also is going to have a night away from her child. Separation anxiety sucks.