Chapter 8

"Yes? Absent si Stella."

My forehead creased with my eyes directly on her's, I stretched out my arm towards her, holding a stack of yellow paper which caught her attention. She looked down to those as her eyebrows rose.

"Kanino? Sir Jan?" she asked and I nodded before she receives the stack. "Sige, thanks--"

"Absent si Stella?" I asked and her eyes immediately went back to me. Ciara nodded her head as she hugs the stack up to her chest. "Why?"

Her forehead creased as she raise one eyebrow up, leaving the other one. "'Di mo alam?"

"Obviously no, bakit nga?"

"Outing daw kasama family. Late birthday celeb yata, 'di ako sure," she said and my forehead creased even more.

"Birthday?" I asked and her eyes widened, for a second her lips started to stretch for a smile as she then let out a couple chuckles, making me more confused. It could be her family members birthday or hers, I try to recall if she ever mentioned anything yesterday but she didn't. Even the others didn't say a thing and acted all normal.

She slowly nodded her head as her smile formed to a straight line. "Ayay 'di mo alam 'no?" she asked and I slowly shake my head, causing her to look away with a disappointed yet positive look. "It was her birthday yesterday. Hindi ba nag dinner pa kayo? 'Di mo talaga alam?"

"Wala siyang sinabi," I said.

"Hala ka! Patay ka, 'di ka na kakausapin no'n," she said, teasing and I chuckled, rolling my eyes as I shifted my gaze inside their classroom. Marami sa kanila ay kumakain na, nakalabas na ang mga Tupperware habang marami ding bakanteng upuan. "Bahala ka nga dyan."

My eyes went back to her to see her turning around, she flips her hair to the right, touching my polo as I let out another chuckle.

In perfect timing, as I turned around my eyes immediately landed on a familiar figure, on my left. My eyes slowly look up to his face, meeting his gaze as his smile widens before he looks away, inside the classroom. My head automatically turned back there, to the same girl approaching with now her eyebrows raised and a bright smile on her face. Favouritism? Crush? Haha.

"'Di talaga siya pumasok?" Kurt asked and chuckled as she got closer, my eyes remained on Ciara as she shook her head before glancing at me.

"Birthday talaga niya kahapon?" I asked, catching his attention. He turned to me with a wide smile, but not wide enough to show his teeth– he nodded his head and I immediately showed disappointment. I slightly tilted my head to the right, as my face loosened up, he let out another chuckle before returning his eyes to Ciara.

"Sige, thanks," he said to her and went back to me. "She told us not to say anything. Sorry."

But he didn't seem to be sorry. Instead, her laughed softly as annoyance crawls in me. But I wasn't really. I rolled my eyes and ket out a snicker, shaking my head as I look away. My eyes landed on the building beside ours, sunshine on top of it as people walks down the hall, minding their own businesses. It's still 11:30, or it was when I last checked. Everything was suddenly blurred out, I can hear familiar voices echoes inside my head in repeat as her face flashes in my mind, then last night.

I don't remember much. We were both laughing, chatting, then more chatting. We were too caught up with our topics. It just led us to a new one, then before we knew it it was already late, the restaurant was more crowded, people went in and out and we were still half way with our food.

She never told me anything about birthdays, and I didn't get a chance to give her anything…

Everything went back. The noises and the clarity, I was back. My eyes shifted to the guy beside me and met his gaze. His eyes were slightly wider as it met mine, yet it didn't move and stayed. His face is rested and he seems to be lost.